Agnostic.com

13 2

Looking for advice on fasting . Considering fasting 24hrs. Once a week can anyone enlighten me on healthy fasting?

PeterGarrison 4 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My one friend had a great success withe the Fast Diet ( play on words -quickly/don't eat-) easy to look up the basics.

I'm going to try it.

Someday

Try easing into it. Start from 12/12 for a week, then 14/10, 16/8 for a couple to three or so weeks, then try upping to 18/6. See how you feel. Maybe try 23/1- OMAD. From there you can try 48 hrs. Or 2/5 when you eat only 500 calories two days a week. After a while you body adjusts and your brain feels better. Sleep improves. There’s a lot of good info on YouTube. Dr Eric Berg and Dr. Jason Fung are reputable. Good luck!

A 2-3 day fast is great for your gut, kills all the candida, a "flush" every fasting morning with chili/lemon water is prolly indicated, get ready for 20 minutes on the john after that, and then seek some kind of cultured food, or even prepared probiotics for eating day 1.

I'm a sugar freak, but I just take care of my gut in the morning, and start the junk in the evening lol. Monitor fungal/urinary infections to gauge candida infection, as they all descend from candida

My workable method just ivolved skipping breakfast and lowering my overall calorie count in the two meals I do eat a day. Went from 315 to 260 in about 3 months.

I fast on Mondays from morning until about 6 pm. I feel better since I started doing this. Just be sure that you drink water and some kind of juice seems to help keep me alert and not hungry.

"Fasting" 2 days a week. Fast in inverted commas because it's really a restricted (600cal) food intake. Works for me. Lost aprox 10kg and avoiding being cranky most of the time (the hour before lunch is not good).

Why? What is the benefit that healthy diet and exercise doesn't do for you?

Go to YouTube and learn about "intermittent fasting".

MarqG Level 5 Feb 22, 2018

is there a reason you feel you want to fast? personally i eat little and often,
between 8 am and 8 pm, nothing before or after - unless i'm out with friends at the weekend

I have fasted on numorous occasions. Up to 72 hours. After 72 I do begin to feel like it's time.

For me, under normal circumstances, if I eat anything solid for breakfast, I WILL need to have lunch. Unfortunately, I have meds that request being taken with food. Which makes fasting difficult. I used to drink a boost for breakfast. However, I realized how much sugar was in them and decided to back off on that. Now, I basically have water with my morning pills (despite their desire to have food with), and then I can, normally, fast through the day without being horribly hungry.

One trick of mine is to keep busy, just don't give yourself idle time. This distracts you from thinking about the food. Also, allow yourself water, tea or coffee but sans sugar! I do allow myself a touch of cream with my tea in the morning. Distracting yourself is key, at least it is for me.

I DO note that I have periods where I am just hungry as all get out but that usually passes if I decide that 'now is not the time to break my fast' again, distraction. Keep yourself busy, even if it's just reading a book (NOT a recipe book mind!).

Very important: pay attention to your bod! If you are simply hungry, it's probably ok. IF you are lightheadeds, weak, etc, STOP fasting. Have a sensible meal. Oh, on this note, do expect a headache on a successful fast as your blood sugars plummet and your brain asks to be fed. That said, this is another thing to watch as it might mean you are going TOO low in blood sugars (if you can, monitor your sugar levels... I run hyperglycemic so am not normally too worried about my sugars going low).

Hope this helps.

But, seriously, don't do this lightly. Be careful.

There are many ways to fast. You can google fasting for examples and instructions, or just do it on your own.

Remember that you have to take as long to resume normal eating habits as you fasted..i.e., if you fast for 24 hrs, take 24 hrs to get back to normal food. Skipping steps can make you sick.

I used to fast one to two days weekly, and then ate every other day for a while.

Now I just eat breakfast at 6 AM, and my next meal at 6 PM, so I go 10-12 hours a day without eating.

I went 36-40 hours a couple of times. Feels REALLY good to eat. You can feel the food energy being dispersed.

Whew, i got through 30 minutes tonight... tough duty !

@AMGT bit of fst day this morning. Lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27434
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.