Agnostic.com

6 7

I’ve been trying to exercise my demons, but they won’t budge. I even bought them a gym membership, but they won’t get off the couch.

Benthoven 8 Nov 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I noticed that most people who buy gym memberships don't go to the gym after the first month. They are not in the habit of exercising. On noticing that, as I happened to be in college at the time, i took various P.E. (running, weight lifting, swimming) and dance classes fo the first three hours of each day. All I had to do was show up and do what I was told to do in those classes, and it raised my GPA, and helped me get in shape. Most importantly, it got me into a habit of exercising, to where after a couple of years, when i bought a gym membership, I went and exercised. I was motivated in that I had started to get fat before taking those exercise classes in college.

I basically looked at what behavior i wanted to change, and how I might achieve it without too much real effort, and it worked... Up until I turned 50 and got leukemia and was on cancer medications which sapped all my energy, which over time got me out of the habit of exercising simply because it took most of my energy to just get out of bed. Anyway, cured of the leukemia, and off the cancer drugs, but still not really exercising... although I do keep the gym membership active. (sigh)

Still, I will try to meetup with hiking groups on meetup.com to get some sort of exercise.

In the end we all just do the best we can to motivate ourselves. I go on hike to tak ephotos of the scenery, which I post on Facebook. It helps to fidn secondary reasons that are more motivating than the idea of exercising. In college my secondary motivation was to raise my GPA. Now it is to take nature photos to share.

You might find some secondary goal or reason to ge through exercising at the gym. You just need to figure out what it is.

Mine like Pokemon Go.

I had the same thing with my ex. She insisted she needed to exercise, so I bought her a membership for Xmas. Even though she acted delighted, she never used it. Then eventually, a few years later, I exorcised myself right out of the house.

Exercise, or exorcise? Exercising them will probably make them healthy, happy, and unwilling to budge. But exorcising them might have some effect, depending on how imaginary they are.

Depending on the demon you just might have to get it a comfy couch and just enjoy the company.

DeiP Level 5 Nov 3, 2017

Try drugs. Cocain gets them feeling spunky. (I am kidding)

I might try it, but what happens if they suddenly go all Bobby Brown on me?

Then you go to rehab. Sort of like what Hellbent said.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2752
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.