Agnostic.com

6 1

Japan’s emperor

It had occurred to me to ask would the emperor of Japan and the Kamakaze pilots of WW2 be considered religious practice if they revere the emperor as a god?

AJimboShep82 7 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

During the war, prior to their surrender and capitulation, I think a case could be made for this.

The emperor had to publlically tell his people he wasn't a god. The emperor wanted to surrender sooner. He made two records of his surrender in case the military kept him locked up.

part of the surrender was the admission, including by the emperor himself, that the emperor was fully human and not divine. he died while i was in japan, and his death was not announced to the people for a week or two. even wikipedia says he died january 7, 1989. that simply is not so. he died in december 1988, and the english-language newspapers of japan carried that news, so i knew it (i can't read much japanese, certainly not enough to read a newspaper!) but the japanese-language papers said he was doing fine! the new year is a big deal in japan and the powers-that-were didn't want to ruin it for everyone, so they lied. even as late as that, some older japanese people believed the emperor was divine. his death must have come as a terrible shock to them. his son, no spring chicken himself, is on the throne now. as far as i know, no one considers him divine.

g

Were you there in 79 to see the palace when they opened it? That was cool. Getting taken out of line and searched because I had my camera in my jacket possible was a bit unnerving. Especially when a short, muscle bound fellow puts his hand on your arm and politely asks you to go with him. He returned me to the exact place in line, after I offered to not put my camera back in my pocket.

@Beowulfsfriend no, i didn't get there until 1985. you saw it, eh? cool! (except for being manhandled of course.)

g

@genessa they were ultrapolite, I just knew I could be broken in half. Just that grip of strength. But yes, it was beautiful inside and the first time opened in around 80 years.

I'd give that a "yes".

I would have thought yes pretty much

I think so. I think Muslim terrorists view their acts as religious practice too, expecting to be rewarded in paradise.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:275343
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.