Agnostic.com

7 3

LINK How the Dutch got their cycle paths - YouTube

17 million Dutch, 23 million bikes! Interesting story on how that came about. I haven't ridden a bike in probably 20 years but I like the idea of how they have incorporated biking into their daily lives. It's safer, healthier both mentally and physically, economical and better for business. With the exception of a few cities, biking is dangerous and more sport than daily transportation here in the US. Is that ever likely to change? We really like our cars...

BeeHappy 9 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What we have in The Netherlands is considerd to be among the best infrastructures on the planet. You actually need to use navigation inside cities. This is a side effect of being obsessed with making laws and regulations.

Am I the only one getting 'psychopaths' from "cycle paths"? Lmao. ?

Aahhhh... now that you mention it... ??

The will of the people! We don't have that here. A land that is flat and no larger than most of our states. So, federal policies make hardly any sense here. States need to step up. We have some good transportation policies in cities.
And the big one:" It's not just your car; it's your freedom" The most insidious advertising slogan ever.
insidious: adjective
proceeding in a gradual, subtle way, but with harmful effects.

You're correct.

I blame the lack of funding for mental health ....

For what?

@BeeHappy murderous cycle paths ....

I have cycled in The Netherlands and felt totally safe, even in the cities. I rarely cycle on public roads in the UK. We have a network of cycle tracks and a govt body called Sustrans which is providing cycling tracks but it is so underfunded that it is a very slow process.

I have a friend that lived there for a couple years and I heard about it through him. Things move at a snail's pace through the government. But at least it's in progress.

And it is a point of pride that they speak English.

Simple common sense. I advocated for similar 25 years ago in the town that I lived in. As usual I was ignored. In the twelve months just ended a week ago 350 people were killed in road fatalities in that state. The city I lived in claimed to have the busiest traffic emergency unit in the state.

That's so sad. Will you try again?

@BeeHappy I now live about 1200 klms away.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:275468
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.