Agnostic.com

8 6

What strikes you as odd in the old testament?

What, if any scripture in the old testament strikes you as weird? Is there anything you found odd even when compared to the rest of the OT?

The first time I ever read the old testament, quite a few things jumped out at me. For 1 example, when God says that if Adam and Eve ate from the other magic tree (of eternal life) that they would become like"US". I spent years being taught god is the one true god and very jealous about it by his words.

iovere 3 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Everything between the covers.

Every damn word.
Except Eccelsiastes. There's some good shit in there.

Let's see....Encouraging war, rape, murder, and infanticide to name a few weird things. As far as I am concerned it is a book of fiction.

Betty Level 8 Jan 28, 2019

All. Of. It.

Almost everything in the Bible strikes me as weird. My theory is that it was written as fiction, and at first people understood it that way. Then at some point people started teaching it as if it were true. That's when humanity really got messed up.

There is a lot of truth in that. Genesis is pure creation mythology. Exodus is a fairy tale which did not happen. The rest is fiction mixed with a little bit of Jewish history.The Jews were originally polytheists and it certainly appears to me that Yaweh was invented to justify their acquisitive warlike behaviour.

That many books have been excluded from it. This is also true of the New Testament "gospels". I ran across an interesting book entitled "The Gnostic Bible", which contains many of the 'lost' gospels.

Another example was learning that God created the animals for Adam. Eve was simply created to be another animal for Adam when he wasn't pleased with the original animals. Oh and Adam naming all the animals was a fun addition.

Elijah riding that chariot of fire......first air show.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:275730
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.