Agnostic.com

33 17

OK. I'm from the UK where, like Australia and many other countries we have really strict gun control laws.

I have seen (and commented on) several posts on here from pro-gun advocates and I make this post not to antagonise or to offend, but as an outsider to try to understand your point of view.

This is why I have posted this in philosophy and meaning as opposed to politics.

Now I could be missing something, but so far all the comments I have seen appear to be about your fear of losing your guns by having stricter legislation and not about how you can reduce the number of deaths from guns (homicides, suicides and accidents).

Can you please explain how you can rationalise that all the countries in the world with the highest proportion of gun ownership and the least regulation have the highest per capita gun deaths and those with the lowest proportion of gun ownership and strictest gun control have the lowest and still say that the best option is for everyone to have guns? (I do concede that a statistical correlation does not necessarily imply a causal relationship).

Can you also tell me how you propose to reduce the number of gun related deaths whilst keeping your guns - especially those that shoot a lot of bullets in quick succession? Or do you think the number of gun deaths are an acceptable cost to keep your freedom to own guns?

All the cop shows/thrillers/action movies we see about the USA over here show people running around shooting at each other. It's a way of life we have no understanding of - in the same way that other countries get a skewed view of the UK from its film and TV.

Please help me understand what is so great about the right to bear arms?

Uncorrugated 7 Feb 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You are spot on about most fearing the loss of their weapons. I hear it everyday, it's all around me. "They ain't gonna take my guns!" "It's my right as a US citizen to be able to own any weapon I want"
"It's right there in the Constitution". It never ends. As with the Christian bible, it is being taken out of context. The only words they heed are, "the right to bear arms, without infringement". Very few have actually read the amendment and just repeat what they hear others say. It is a combination of ignorance and inbred hatred. They also do not realize that the 2nd amendment was referring to a volunteer, state militia that would be arming themselves with muskets, not AK 47's or AR 15's. These militia volunteer's were expected to take up arms against any threat to the state, not use them to gun down civilians. That said state militia later became what we now call the National Guard. Each state has a National Guard and they have to go through basic training just like the standard military personnel. The 2nd amendment did not mean that every lunatic and gun enthusiast had the right to bear semi-automatic weapons. It is a horrible situation that is dividing our nation. I have always heard that the best way to bring down a mighty nation is to do it from within...divide and conquer. I read a response from a friend on Facebook on a post about the recent shooting, "this is the kind of shit that starts a civil war" and the gentleman was absolutely right. While we're debating, arguing and fighting over these issues the corporations and outside countries are poised to take over.

It is the John Wayne syndrome. Our movies and TV shows have glorified guns for decades. America, John Wayne was a PUSSY! He was a draft dodger and when he went to work he put on makeup, a costume, and went out to play cowboys and Indians. Pretty heroic stuff.

The right to own a gun in this country has become equivalent to a religious belief. It has become a bedrock belief in America that one must own a gun to protect one's family, and also to protect us against the tyranny of the government.
That being said, any suggestion of even modest gun control is seen by many as blasphemy. And while we have many gun laws, they really don't mean anything since a sale of a gun from one private citizen to another, in many states, does not require a background check. So if you want a gun, almost any gun, you can get it with ease.
Limiting magazine sizes, or restrictions on firepower is also seen as anti-patriotic. So much of the marketing of guns is about protecting your family, country, and being a man.
Of course, we are not safer, and we suffer from gun violence in every city. The statistics prove it. As I said before, gun ownership and the passion for guns is a religion. Asking an NRA member to consider sensible gun control, is like asking an evangelical to see Christ as a mythical figure rather than a God.

I live in America and don't get so I can't give you a good answer, I just like you ask the question and offer you perspective. At one time it was the formation of an armed militia to protect the country as the founding fathers were concerned a standing army under government control . . . . seems counter productive now. Even with the citizenry armed to the teeth the government has more than enough to put down and armed up rising. Technology will win out and people will wake up and then we will have reasonable gun control or we'll end up in Thunderdome.

Well apparently gun rights are more important than keeping our children safe to the majority. Also the NRA owns most of our politicians. It’s fucking insane that we can’t even propose even minimal gun restrictions.

I find it most interesting that not ONE of most rabid and vociferous gun pushing advocates has ever dare to attempt to answer this gentlemen's valid questions? Have his questions shamed you into guilty silence?

I'm in favor of gun control but I can tell you that those against it base most of their assertions on slippery-slope concerns rooted in the belief on some level that "the government" is going to come in the night and take your guns from you. The related belief that fear of homeowners with guns is the only thing keeping them from doing so. That any sort of gun control, even half-measures that many of them might in theory agree with, are a Trojan Horse leading to guns being forbidden.

Beyond that in parts of America -- especially rural America -- there's a ritual / tradition of private gun ownership that harkens back to the romantic era of the frontiersman and which feeds the notion of insecure men that they are "rugged individualists".

My only hope is that with the advent of increasingly autonomous / self-driving cars people seem to be drifting away from the notion that everyone must own at least one car and drive it everywhere, so maybe, eventually, somehow, the notion that every patriotic American must have unfettered access to Howitzers will fade, too.

You have way too many questions (not to mention the run-on sentences) for me to address at one time. Something I will say, however, is that our Constitution has an Amendment in the Bill of Rights that provides for the privet ownership of guns. Also in that Constitution is a provision for changing the Constitution via amendments. Therefore, if the Second Amendment is impalatable to the people they should garner the required 2/3rds majority of the states and amend it out of existence like has been done before. The danger of just ignoring it and infringing it "de Jour" that right can be observed as to how the Bush/Chaney administration attacked the meaning of the Eighth Amendment by allowing torture by redefining it as: "Enhanced Interrogation Techniques."

Another example of the abuse of the Constitution "de Jour" was Obama's Presidential Decree in which he, although for months insisting that he did not have the Constitutional authority to do so, enacted a Presidential Degree in regard to the status of the persons brought to this country illegally as children which set the president of allowing presidents to usurp the power of the legislative branch of governemen...something that, Trump then followed resulting in a precedent being set.

Therefore, as a result of such Constitutional abuses, the Constitution becomes evermore weaker, loses its meaning and less able to protect the people. I remember reading the former Soviet Union's Constitution while in college years ago. It was a wonderful document that rivaled ours with all kinds of rights for the people. The only problem with it was that the Soviet Union did not go by it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27680
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.