Agnostic.com

10 2

Atheism

Where most of modern-day atheist indoctrinated as children and forced to go to church? Were you punished if you resisted? And at what age did you realize that God is only a myth. I wish never forced to believe but I knew when I was 8 years old that there was no God.

Chefedone 6 Feb 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

God was never part of my life, I wasn't made to go to church - Sundays were boring because all the other children went

When I read your first question I thought it was satire or you were one of the many theist on this website. Your". . . atheist indoctrinated" is often an argument I fight when a theist (including members of agnostic.com asserts atheism is a religion . . . your continued "from as children and forced to go to church", sadly also falls within their (theist) assertion of atheism being a religion. Many theists I have debated assert atheists have churches and their religion called "science."

As sad and pathetic as this sounds, you should have included "indoctrinated (into a theistic religion)" as this simple inclusion (for me and I am guessing anyone who has spend a great deal time debating theists) would have been a lot easier to understand your intent.

Your 2nd question in that context is also an argument I have encountered by theists.
Even your 3rd question deosn't clarify your position as your being an atheist or theist.
Your last sentence finally gives me a clue as to your stance on Atheism.

So, To answer your question: (that took me a while to understand.)
Were most. . . atheists indoctrinated as children? I don't know.

For me, I also figured out god was a fairy tale when I was in early elementary school. Sunday school, church outings, a church camp were mandatory when I was a child but, although I jumped through their hoops, the indoctrination never worked or stuck after age 8 as I figured the entire "church" thing was just a fear/based mind-fuck game adults played to control children. Later I fugued it was just audience participation fantasy. Make believe games like believing Santa Clause or Darth Vader were living people we should try to impress to gain presents or avoid being destroyed. It wasn't until I was in my late 20's that I (to my cold (as in spine chilling (literally, I remember the event), horror) realized many adults never grew up and actually believed those ridiculous fairy tales and considered those that told the tales authoritative figures in determining truth. The very opposite of what the preachers were selling.

My mother was raised in Catholicism which then she rejected, and my father‘s family were religious but not pushy about it. I was lucky because I was always given the choice of whether or not I wanted to attend church with either of my grandparents and I was never pushed into believing or not believing , so I was able to come to my own conclusions. I see my friends raising their children “in the church” and I find it upsetting because it’s another way in which children are treated like property .

Brilliant observation " . . . Children are treated like property. " A clear definition of mandatory church for youth.

My father was a very religious Catholic. My mother was Baptist. When they married my mother had to convert and promise to raise all children as Catholic. We went to mass religiously every Sunday until they played "Let it Be" in mass. My father was pissed.

We stopped going to mass for two reasons..... they stopped saying mass in Latin, and singing "Let it Be". Apparently my father wasn't as devout as I thought he was.

Your ". . promise to raise all children as Catholic" reminds me of the last Catholic wedding I attended. The preacher made the couple make a similar promise "to raise their (implied from other promises many) children in accordance to the teachings of the Catholic Church." I almost laughed out loud as the bible is a product of the Catholic's teachings and (bible quote time (1 Peter 2:18) "When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed". . .

Hated being dragged to church. A Roman Catholic Mass is exhaustively boring. We had a Pipe organ though and that bugger would wake you up.

Oh two years of Catholic School - thankfully they became too expensive. Phew... Mean Nuns?!

As I child I didn't mind - it was family time. And there were paintings on the ceiling to look at... and on the walls. And singing.

As I grew a bit older - I hated it. By the time I was confirmed in 8th Grade I despised it but went through it for my parents and relatives - because it was expected. (You can fake anything.).

When I got out of the house at 18 - I never went on my own. And really started resisting. I put my foot down around age 21.

That being said I'll go to a funeral mass out of respect for someone - and most weddings I've been to haven't been too much god.

Though my godson (yes you can have an atheist as a Godparent - the other one has to be a Christian though) knelt through a huge portion of his wedding with his wife? I kept thinking "One of them is just gonna keel right over".

It was laughable as it seemed punitive. I'd never seen that in a Catholic wedding before? It seemed farcical.

BTW Punishment was always "You know what you said/did" and intense parental disappointment.

I never was religious or forced into it.

Lucky you!

Apparently so! @RavenCT

I was raised very religious but can't say that I was forced to go. I have to bear that burden all by myself. It took me till I was almost 40 to see the light of the hypocrisy that I had been taught to believe. Guess that I was just dumber than most.

gearl Level 8 Feb 22, 2018

When I was a kid objection to anything was unacceptable, either at home or school.

Truth!

That is horrible. I actively encourage everyone (even young people) to question every assertion.

@NoMagicCookie I am making up for lost time now.

I was brought up by parents that felt children had the right to make up their own minds on belief, we were only taken to church for extended family events. Any pressure to be a believer came from extended family. I had real doubt at about the same age(8) and declare myself atheist at 10.

When I was 10 I stopped believing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27688
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.