Agnostic.com

7 3

Atheism

Were most of modern-day atheist indoctrinated as children and forced to go to church? Were you punished if you resisted? And at what age did you realize that God is only a myth. I wish never forced to believe but I knew when I was 8 years old that there was no God.

Chefedone 6 Feb 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was forced to go until I finished confirmation classes. If I hadn't gone to church so much, I might still consider myself a Christian, but I'd had enough of church by the time I was confirmed, and had time and resources to give some serious thought about all the stuff that was wrong with Christianity. I always thought that church was boring though, so I never gave religion any serious thought.

Church attendance in the UK has been in steep decline for many decades; between 1980 (when I was a child) and 2015 (when I reached middle age) it dropped from 11.8% to 5%. Nevertheless, where I grew up attendance was still considered an important part of village life so the majority of the other kids did attend - I was fortunate in that my parents were agnostic and, being from a non-Christian background, we wouldn't haven attended anyway.

In those days it was law that all children received some religious instruction every day at school, which back then meant Christian instruction - this would be a half-hour assembly each morning, featuring hymns and a Bible reading. To be honest, I didn't mind it: some of the Bible stories were kind of fun and I liked the hymns that had good tunes (plus I was absolutely fascinated by the overhead projector used to project the words onto the wall - it seemed pretty high tech in the late 1970s, and quite often it'd overheat and fill the hall with interesting burning smells). However, from the age of four when I was first exposed to religion, never for one moment did I think that any of it was true - I'd seen dinosaurs in books and knew they lived much, much longer ago than the Bible said the Creation happened, squeezing two of every animal into a boat seemed highly unlikely and as for the whole heaven and hell thing - well, that just seemed ridiculous. I was very surprised when I found out some people actually did believe it all.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 25, 2018

Young Earth Creationism is a fairly recent belief system. The idea that you can add up the ages of everyone in the Bible and arrive at creation being around 12,000 years ago. It's taken a firm hold in the US, but elsewhere, you're more likely to find Christians who believe that the whole '6 days' thing is meant to be taken figuratively rather than literally. It isn't difficult to find Christian websites that subscribe to this view.

The Pope has recently backed the big bang theory and the theory of evolution. That's an acknowledgement that the Earth is millions rather than thousands of years old. He doesn't see this as disproving the existence of God. He believes that, even accepting these events as real, creation of life still requires God's intervention.

The ark story is possibly the most ludicrous thing in the bible. That a four year old can see straight through it and some forty year olds can't, says a lot.

@NicoleCadmium I'm actually quite impressed by the whole "each day of the Creation was equivalent to half a billion human years (or whatever)" argument - it shows real determination to stick with a story that holds less water than a punctured teabag, I can sort of admire the sheer pig-headedness, because I've have said "oh sod it, I can't be bothered" sometime in the 19th Century.

@Jnei There are two ways you can interpret texts like The Bible. One is "Here's a collection of stories that will help you to make sense of stuff and offer you some moral guidance." The other is "Here's what really happened. Literally." Those who follow them the first way, I have some respect for. Those who follow them the second are patently bonkers.

@NicoleCadmium Same. I don't hate all religious people - many of those in the first group also feel inspired by their faith to try to be good people and do a bit of good for others. I've got no argument with that at all.

Seemed some wierdo preacher would move in nextdoor and pretty soon my mom was shipping us off to church every Sunday on a bus. This happened several times and from as far back as I can remember and to this day, when I am in a church, I get a horrible sensation from all of the members captivation at the f'n bullshit being spewed out.

I thought it made all the sense in the world. I mean, why would our parents and grandparents lie? I was a teen who studied for the Pentecostal ministry and everyone called me "preacher." Later on I got away from it, started drinking, and lived with tons of guilt for most of my life. Then one day on You Tube I watched a Jerry DeWitt video. OMG, I said. This is me! It didn't take me long to see there is no evidence of gods.(Notice I use gods as in more than one.)
I've only been atheist for maybe 6 years but I have no guilt, I'm not afraid of hellfire, and I feel more free than I've ever been in my lifetime. Some tell me that at 71 I'd best be thinking about god. What god is that? Do you have evidence? Moist likely all you have is someone's holy book.

When I was 7, my mother became a J Witness. Soon after, my parents divorced, (that wasn't the only reason). We were not a religious family, I had never been in a church except when my oldest brother got married.My mother used to threaten to with hold things from us if we didn't go with her. I never wanted to, but did briefly.Soon, I decided that she could do what she wanted, I wasn't going.I have never had any belief in any God.

I was never forced, I just never thought it made any sense

See my answer to the 1st time you posted this.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27689
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.