17 2

Where is the best place to live in Maine?

I want to eventually move to Maine..and am looking for ideas of what towns are the best ..like most affordable..and good job market..

By Ravenwolfcasey7
Actions Follow Post Like

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Connecticut.

MsMagoo Level 4 Feb 1, 2019

In a permanent structure, hopefully well insulated.

Tom08030 Level 4 Feb 1, 2019

Near the airport or train station!

I don't really know ,I've lived here in Maine for over ten years ..as far as a good job market ,it'd probably be Portland, most affordable is where I am in far northern Maine ..

As far as the people ,they're alright...I see mostly kind people when I go out

They pump your gas at a couple stations,and the stores bring your grocery bags to your car ... Taxes wicked cheap and most everything else is too as far as that stuff

A lot of French people ..

Winters are usually brutal ,summers are usually very mild though

California

Secretguy Level 7 Jan 30, 2019

Check out ‘City-Data’ - an excellent online forum for such stuff smile001.gif

Varn Level 8 Jan 30, 2019

I look at city data all the time

Jerusalem's Lot.

Castle Rock.

Tucson, it's in AZ. To fucking cold there

Frh1gh52 Level 5 Jan 30, 2019

Have lived in Maine during college summers and worked southern Maine mostly as a sales rep. I luv Maine. If you like the ocean the coast is gorgeous and seasonal. Portland is a cool city-liberal, open-minded and weed is legal. If you want more specifics PM me.

Near lobster docks is best. In fact on the docks is best — that’s where most of work is, but not necessarily jabz.

Beware. It is highly conservative & a woman I knew had this romantic view of the state. She was back within 6 months complaining about the narrow mind set. But the lobster was cheap.

Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there either for the reasons you stated...plus, it is so cold...two friends of mine moved there looking for a simpler life and moved elsewhere in less than a year...same thing happened to me when I moved to coastal Alabama...beaches were nice, but....

@thinktwice @Countrywoman If you live within about an hour's drive of Portland you would not encounter that "narrow mind set". The greater Portland area is a great place to live.

Portland is a very liberal, foody, city. We have tons of great places to eat, parks to walk in, and as someone else pointed out marijuana friendly. We also have week long festival in June, that starts with the annual Old Port Festival and ends with the annual Portland Pride.

Colorado

hankster Level 8 Jan 30, 2019

Too expensive and too close to California

About 600 miles southwest. Lol.

Lack of manufacturing can be a negative. High tourism jobs around bar harbor freeport etc. I am not from there, my ex is. Spent many vacations traveling around Maine.

I want to live in the state...of Maine " The Way Life Should Be"

Maine is a great place to live, as long as you don't mind cold, snow, and ice.

IMHO the best place to live in Maine is the greater Portland area. Portland is a very liberal, foody city. We have restaurants that provide food from all over the world, and there are tons on them. Within a 10 minute walk of my apartment (in downtown Portland) there are about 30 good restaurants to choose from. We have many parks that are free to use, and smoke free. The city is LGBT+ friendly and marijuana friendly. It is also within an hour's drive of the outlets in Kittery or Freeport, the beaches in Old Orchard Beach, the mountains in western Maine, and the islands in Casco Bay.

Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!