Agnostic.com

27 4

Arming public school teachers. That was the topic of my conversation with my daughter tonight.
My daughter is a music education teacher. In a public school.
Her college jazz teacher lost his daughter in the Newtown shooting.
Her feeling is that she would indeed shoot to protect her students from harm. I thought that her aversion to guns could counteract any training she would receive. The armed guard at the Florida shooting, certainly trained, did not move to help.
Any teachers here? Would you arm yourself?

AmiSue 8 Feb 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Teacher leaves her gun on a toilet, kids find it.

[cbsnews.com]

I am a retired teacher and a gun enthusiast. I have been in the military and have shot in rifle and pistol matches as a civilian. I have been handloading (making my own cartridges) and casting bullets (making bullets from melted lead) since the middle sixties. I shoot 72 handgun rounds every day that the temperature here in Michigan is above 50 degrees. I am very well practiced when it comes to guns. What schools need are dedicated armed guards (not public relations people like the armed "guard" in Florida), not armed teachers. Teachers would be too distracted to be both guards and teachers no matter what training they received. Schools need to be hardened...it is foolish to employ half measures. If you want the kids to be safe, then one must employ the same methods used by the military for troops in war areas.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27812
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.