Agnostic.com

7 4

SMART DOGS, UNREASONABLE KIDS

My Australian Blue Heeler was the most intelligent, independent thinking dog I've ever owned/bred, but my Border Collie was a close second.

My Border Collie, Benji, obeyed dozens of commands and hand signals I taught her, but mostly she kept her eye on me and figured out what should be done to assist. I could just give a her a blanket command, like "Bring Abram," and she'd streak off into the dark woods where the herd of horses was sleeping. I'd hear some barking, and soon she'd appear, driving my annoyed horse ahead of her.

In 1981, I'd just taught Benji the command "seek back" - which meant to retrace our steps and bring me anything I'd dropped while out hiking or horseback riding.
I had also bought my 18th-month-old son, Nathan, a pair of tiny new cowboy boots, and he was wearing them while sitting in the saddle in front of me while cantering Abram along the RR track easement in Durango, CO.

I sort of noticed that Benji, who was loping beside my right stirrup, was carrying something in her mouth, but didn't pay any attention.

After about 30 minutes of riding, I noticed that Nathan was missing his right boot. Horrified, I started to turn to Benji to tell her to "seek back," but when I did, I saw what she had been carrying in her mouth..the tiny cowboy boot!

I stopped the horse, signaling Benji for the boot, and she put one paw on the stirrup to reach up and place it in my hand.

I slipped Nathan's boot back on, and off we went!

Our route took us behind a local Durango grocery store, and Nathan began yelling "Woe-woe!" (his made-up name for "horse" ) and pointing at the mechanical horse in front of the store.

I tried to point out that he was already riding a REAL horse, but he didn't care. I had to dismount, tie up Abram, and put in a quarter to give him a ride on the machine before he would agree to continue on (sigh).

birdingnut 8 Feb 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Cool story!

What a wonderful story!

As an expostman unruly kids are preferable

They are my family

I used to have a Blue heeler cross Border Collie. She was a very intelligent dog.

I'm impressed with your dog handling ability! Awesome.

We had a cat that was mystical in some regards. For instance, she never, ever got on a bed. Except when someone was sick. She'd get up go to a kid's bedroom and climb on the bed. Within an hour we'd be cleaing up vomit and that kid would be in bed. The cat would stay there, on the foot of the bed, until the person was up and better.

I've read about cats in nursing homes that did that before people died.

'Miracle' cat predicts deaths of 100 people in nursing home [mirror.co.uk]

I have been working in a cat rescue/pet shop for the last six months. I am enjoying working with cats.

@atheist People near death have drops in body temperature, their urine changes color, many changes take place, and no doubt the cat can pick up on it. That's why people who have seizures often keep dogs, or other pets, that signal them up to 30 minutes before an episode so they can lie down.

@atheist There is no pattern with the gawd stuff... except the pattern of "Give us your money and we will pray for you."

@atheist I usually call it the Elmer Gantry model.

@atheist The article was simply reporting what people were saying about the cat, not claiming that it is an actual "miracle," whatever that means. All science is a miracle to someone, but of course there's the energy element.

We are all made of energy, which can't be created or destroyed, so have always existed and will always exist in some energy form.
And we all contribute to creating our own universe.

“I regard consciousness as fundamental and matter as derivative from consciousness." – Max Planck, theoretical physicist who originated quantum theory, 1918 Nobel Prize in Physics

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27849
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.