Agnostic.com

4 1

Do you think Street Epistemology is helpful?

paul1967 8 Nov 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it would benefit from an atheist version of Chick Tracts. People respond to things that look like comic books. 😉

I think it has it's place in the world and all power to the atheists who want to do this as although I'm an outspoken atheist I have never felt the need to preach to those in the street. If I were to view an atheist epistemologist the same way I view a religious evangelical street preacher, then I would have to say it is not helpful. Those people just come across as nuts. I know street epistemology is more about exploring critical reasoning as a one-on-one conversation with people you don't know, so it is not preaching, so maybe it may be effective occasionally. I just think it is A LOT of effort with little return. It's good when you can put the videos on YouTube, etc., and reach a wider audience. The power of the internet to convert I think is the way forward.

Nuthin' like street smarts. Boghossian's book certainly helped equip me for discussing faith with Christians, trouble is - it's hard to find ones that don't argue with bible verses.

I know what epistemology is. What is Street epistemology? Never heard of it.

Street Epistemology is a dialectical approach intent on helping people reflect on the reliability of the methods used to arrive at deeply-held beliefs. Street Epistemology (SE) is the application of epistemology (the study of knowledge) outside of formal academic contexts.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2791
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.