Agnostic.com

12 1

While finishing up a work project at a high school north of Houston, I saw 3 female students carrying their offspring in car seats as they walked from class to class. So, how’s the teen pregnancy problem in your area?

NothinnXpreVails 8 Feb 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

With reproductive health and sex ed being part of our public school curriculum it does happen but, at no where near the rate of the US. The social conservative here fight it tooth and nail but, for even a christain school public funding of the school requires following the curriculum of Alberta Education. One observation I have made is that christian schools and public schools in christian areas have a higher rate of teen pregnancy than other public schools.

Well it is Texas, Know well for their incredible stupidity.

EMC2 Level 8 Feb 24, 2018

Ever since Texas started teaching abstinence only sex ed classes (an oxymoron if ever I heard one) their VD and pregnancy rates have gone through the roof. This is an issue anywhere they teach kids to just 'not have sex' by not instruction their students how to properly have safe sex.

Sadly I haven't the foggiest idea. In general I would guess no just because of the demographic of the school district but I don't know.

After Thailand's recent urban westernization with US movies and music, the teen pregnancy rate rose steeply, but government intervention in the past decade has greatly reduced births.

Abortion in Thailand is illegal and the society is very conservative, with most people living in extended families, so teen pregnancy wasn't previously a big problem.

When I first started teaching at a small class B high school in Michigan, in 1986, the pregnant and mothers with a child would go to the cafeteria to eat and back to their special segregated classroom before the rest of the students. I liked that number as the Chinese army, marching four abreast into the sea (there would be no ending for it). In contrast, in 1956 when I was in the sixth grade, there was a sophomore at the high school (across town from my school) that became pregnant. In a short time, everyone in our class knew her name and the name of the father. She seemed to be the ONLY out-of-wedlock girl that anyone knew about in our town of just unter 10,000. Unlike the school where I taught in '86...there were MANY.

My first reaction was to look at it from the other angle: at least these students are continuing their education.

marga Level 7 Feb 23, 2018

It may be becoming an accepted norm.

Their offspring...

What? I thought I had written ‘there’ or something.

I just like the use of offspring@NothinnXpreVails

Lol @RandyMoose

Teen pregnancy, treated in our time as a problem, is nothing new. It is in fact more the rule than the exception in human history and Nature. What IS the exception, of late, is designating young adults as children until they reach the first day of their nineteenth year.

Along with many other unnatural notions deriving from a Patriarchal system so full of itself that it deigns to dictate to Nature, delayed adulthood is exacting a terrible societal price.

I agree that teens have been reproducing for millions of years, however given our global population size, I would hope that there would be a natural mechanism for slowing reproduction rates.

@NothinnXpreVails There were some in place that were very effective. As creatures we are also more self-regulating and in tune with Nature in the absence of compulsive Patriarchal 'morality'.

Countless aggressive, expansionist nations and empires aggressively pursued population growth as a form of arming; as a means of growing larger armies for conquest. Forces within radicalized Islam ae currently using that tactic effectively. Biblically rooted notions such as being 'fruitful' and multiplying, more applicable to agrarian societies still contribute. Most prominent in our time is the devastating effect that compulsive, sex-negative 'morality' has had on human sexuality and sexual behaviors.

Overpopulation, like other epidemic malignant human activities can all be arguably included as just another part of the cumulative degeneration by Patriarchal domination.

There has to be some arbitrary point of adulthood for legal purposes. I had to be 21 to be considered an adult...now it is 18 for some things. When I think back to how I was before 21, I did not have it together enough at 18 to be responsible. If it were up to me, the age of majority would revert back to 21 years of age...no voting, no buying alcohol, no gun owning, no entering into contracts, etc. No everyone matures at the same rate. However, being that there is no test of maturity, the arbitrary 21 was as good as a place to have the age of majority...and certainly better than the currrent 18.

@dahermit I was a soldier AND a parent at 17. Wife was 16, 15 days after the birth of our first. Was 19 and veteran with family of 4. Those and all later children grew up addiction free, atheost. Eldest is an RN, with an MBA, next, a son, is soon to retire from good business background. No horror stories..

In some areas , the schools issue realistic dolls , to give teens a taste of parenthood , before they get pregnant on their own . Are you sure these weren't the dolls ?

Actually, thank you, I am not. I hadn’t considered that possibility. I don’t think they were, though.

Hmmm. Good question.

To me, it was more a problem when I was a kid. Meaning that we sent the girls away and shamed them.

A teacher told me that she's known girls that have planned out their lives to get the maximum benefits from their children. To me, that is the problem. That girls think their best option in life is bearing children.

That's where we are failing.

Why are you assuming it is a problem? Perhaps an issue maybe.

Have you seen population figures? We need to cut it drastically, not reproduce at younger ages.

@NothinnXpreVails your opinion is noted. I do agree with you however, but still an opinion.

An educated guess. @jlynn37

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28117
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.