Agnostic.com

34 11

I'm a college professor and for the past 10 years, I've noticed and my colleagues have as well, that way too many of our students seem to be incapable of doing the simplest of assignments. Perhaps the biggest problem today's students have is meeting deadlines and accomplishing tasks on time. It's very disconcerting given that the young will eventually grow up and run the nursing home I'll be admitted to. I'm fearful that they'll just machine gun old people to death because they sure as hell aren't developing any skills while in college. And you can bet your ass the America's status a global superpower will end in like the next 10 years.

KBJ41 4 Feb 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tend to agree.

When people ask me what I teach ( meaning subject matter or discipline) I respond "Thirteenth Grade". They usually laugh and then realize what it is that I'm really saying...

If it makes you feel any better, Professor, the country has been on its way to 3rd world status from the days when Ronald "Iran Contra" Reagan convinced conservatives that billionaires were deeply concerned about their well being and would make them all millionaires if only they (the rich) didn't have to pay those pesky taxes or abide by any regulations.

MarqG Level 5 Feb 25, 2018

My college is limited but I've seen what you are talking about and I share your concern. For one thing today, every spare minute is spent texting. Even the ones who tell you not to do it are texting. Everybody is looking down and smiling at their phone. Schools and colleges, the workplace, and even the military go through this. If this is how kids learn anything I'm sure a lot is left out. The only hope we have as a nation is that all the rest of the world could be doing it also. America is going through a great "dumbing down" that needs to stop.

I'm a college professor, too. I find that if I provide exemplar papers and good directions my students do very well on written assignments.

Orbit Level 7 Feb 24, 2018

I label instructions very clearly, like "How to write your paper". It seems to help when I idiot-proof the links

You are correct . A part of the problem is that chemicals used to grow foods have been found even in milk from nursing mothers . They're being poisoned , beginning while they are fetuses . For instance , a weed killer is sprayed on grains , before they are mowed , to kill the crop , which makes it easier to mow them down and is easier on the machinery , thereby saving the cost of repairing/replacing , the cutting blades . Thus a chemical such as , "Round Up ," is coating the graines , used to bake bread , cakes, pies , cereals , etc. As the mother eats these daily foods , she ingests the poisons , which then shows up in the fetuses as they are being formed . When you poison any living creature from conception on , on a daily basis , it does damage to any living thing . So yes , over all , our poisoned children are not learning at the same rates as previous generations .

Though not a teacher, I too come across this problem.

@KBJ41 Coworkers. People on the web who can't read all the words in a post.

Your right common sense like the common frog is a very rare creature and we are doomed.

Common sense would tell you the world is flat because it appears so, and so is not at all common.
Mr. Paine illustrated how uncommon Common Sense was many years ago.

indeed I live where Mr.paine lived and my town as you can see is famous for it. we had a pub/bar called the rights of man here too.

Clearly they need more participation trophies to boost their self esteem and confidence

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28294
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.