Agnostic.com

4 3

LINK World’s largest carmakers warn of bleak year ahead

"Three of the world's largest automakers added to the industry's gloom this week by warning that 2019 is looking increasingly bleak, with little hope of an end to a Chinese slowdown or the changing customer tastes that are forcing costly overhauls to their model lines.

"The pessimistic outlook for the year ahead from Toyota, General Motors and Daimler — which together account for one in five vehicles sold globally — was accompanied by reports of dismal results for the year just concluded, with all three announcing a fall in profits...

"...the results were sobering. Daimler, maker of Mercedes-Benz, reported a 28 per cent fall in net profits to €7.6b ($12.2b) in 2018; Toyota said net profit last month fell 81 per cent; and GM reported an 8 per cent drop in the fourth quarter.

"More worryingly, all three also said they saw little sign of relief ahead."

SkotlandSkye 8 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All they need do is read trump facts and they will brighten up.

Site wouldn't open but I have heard this and think it could be a good thing. Car makers have to get on the real (as opposed to buzzword) sustainability bandwagon. The disgusting mess by VW might produce some problems for other German car makers. Stop with the gas guzzling SUV's, trucks, diesel vehicles and build more eco friendly autos.
This morning I made some notes on where we are quickly headed because the important deficit (the one with our life-support system) is being totally ignored along with the financial one. It won't just be the auto makers that suffer, we all will.
Keep up the good comments/links.

I'll never buy another gasoline powered vehicle. It's be nice if the car makers figured out that there's quite a few of us who'd prefer to avoid damaging our environment.

I hope to be able to afford an electric car in the not to distant future. Right now I'm chugging along in my 2011 Mercedes hoping it lasts a few more years since it's paid for!!!

Gee, you wouldn't know this down here in Texas. I've seen more new cars in the last couple of months and have wondered if the car companies are lowering prices or something because I see so many new cars down here. A lot of those C300 Mercedes around here.

wow....but Texas is booming right now...I was in San Antonio back in November and construction down the whole Interstate from Dallas to Austin and on was crazy! Population boom!

@SkotlandSkye Yes, a lot of newbies moving here. I'm just hopeful that a lot of them are not the right wing repub morons we already have down here. The building of new homes is off the charts in the area I live. I'm pretty sick of the added traffic and no real building of new roads to move all these added people around. It's hell trying to get anywhere early in the morning with all the traffic backed up.

@SkotlandSkye Most of my family live in Texass (Dallass, San Antonio and Austin) and they probably think this is great. Of course they all have air conditioning and the summer heat keeps them indoors.
Funny story: I and my first wife were at DFW during the energy crunch and air conditioners were set higher. We were waiting for my mom to pick us up when we saw a German family that were loudly complaining about the heat. One said he thought Americans had air-conditioning. A woman saw the exit and said she would go out and see where their ride was. We watched her go out and then turn around and come quickly back. She told the group they do have air conditioning and you don't want to go out there.

@JackPedigo LOL, most people who visit Texas in the middle of our summer heat don't want to come back!!!

@Redheadedgammy I am from Dallas and know all about it. I hate heat. It's funny to see the people at our farmers market in the summer. You can tell those from the SW as they are the ones wearing coats in July.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:283664
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.