Agnostic.com

27 4

Feminist?

So my question is how many of you all consider yourself a feminist? Why or why not?

Susalou 4 Feb 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do, and before anyone jumps on me for being a man, yes, you can be a male feminist, in fact without male voices the women's right movement is not going to go anywhere.
Why i am is that I am strong advocate of equal pay for equal work, women's right to control their own reproductive health, maternity leave, recognition that women's role in our society is grossly undervalued and women's rights are human rights.

I said in a previous comment that I absolutely think men can be feminists. Thank you for standing up for women!

I think the feminist movement most certainly would go somewhere without male voices - women are more than intelligent and strong enough to fight this battle and win it. Male support certainly won't do the cause any harm, however.

@Jnei It is men that need to change, it does not matter how strong and intelligent the women maybe without men changing feminism goes no where. People only change by their own accord no one can change anyone else: this isn't an argument it is just a fact.

@HeathenFarmer I totally agree that it's men who need to change. I still disagree that feminism would not be "going to go anywhere" without male support: had there have been zero male support in the early days, the women driving it were intelligent, determined and persuasive enough that the movement would still have got off the ground and started showing women that they didn't have to put up with being second class citizens as well as teaching (an ever-increasing number of) men that feminism would benefit them, too.

I am simply because I don't believe women are inferior.

JimG Level 8 Feb 24, 2018

Absolutely because I believe in equality.

I believe that everyone is equal, and should be paid the same if they can do the same job.

I believe that every woman should have the right to determine what is right for them in regards to healthcare and reproductive rights. (My sister had to get permission from her abusive husband in order to get a medically necessary hysterectomy 20yrs ago)

I believe that women should have the same advantages as men do in EVERY way.

I do NOT believe that women are superior to men.

I do!
I still think I got some dumb shit running around in my head from my upbringing, but I try and learn and to be open to criticism.
I'm not sure how to answer why... Nothing makes me think men are better or that it's a good idea for society to allow an underclass.

JeffB Level 6 Feb 24, 2018

Feminist! I believe in equality.

Eh, I don't really get hung up on words or concepts. I use what works. That's going to change, based on context.

In some contexts, I would not hesitate to say "Absolutely! I'm definitely a 'feminist'!"--and it would be a true statement. In other contexts, I would say everything else before the word "feminist", because it's a highly-charged word that carries a lot of negative baggage and would only injure--or completely explode--the discourse--and that statement would be no less true.

I feel the same way about words like "Democrat" and "Republican", "liberal"/"conservative", etc. You never know what kinds of mental and emotional boogeymen are invoked when certain words are pronounced. And I'm results-oriented ("consequentialist", maybe?) so using particular language is far less important to me than successful dialogue. I don't care to argue over what words mean. I'd rather quickly decide which words we're going to use and continue the discussion.

I think no person is less deserving of justice than any other. If that makes me a "feminist" in your book, that's groovy. I'll be happy to discuss the contents of your book in your language; you'll have my full attention and respect.

But don't think for a second that I don't read other people's books or speak their languages with any less attention or respect.

Are you a masculinist? Are masculinism and feminism mutually exclusive? Should men or women have more rights than the opposite? Should we advocate for a specific gender or just advocate for people in general. Perhaps feminism is a poor label.

We should advocate for a specific gender if that gender has a history of lower opportunity in our society. Seems to be a duty if you care about people in general.

The thing is that feminism has always been about equality. Somewhere along the way some misogynistic trolls got the bright idea to claim that women want primacy over men and we LET them redefine feminism. There's not a problem with the concept or the word, the problem lies with people, like yourself,falling for propaganda.

Advocating for all seems just as sufficient. @JeffB

I wasn’t falling for propaganda. And, quite frankly, I’ve seen men treated as scum bags by feminists. I don’t think feminism is advocating for women’s rights to the detriment of men’s rights. I think you’re right that the general feminist position is to advocate for women’s rights, but that fails to advocate for all. @Blindbird

@Gatovicolo Yes who shall take up the cause of the ruling class. Those in power do not require advocacy. Silly on face and part of the fuzzy logic of the piller sect.

Not really, but you’re welcome to your silly opinion. @Qualia

I believe in equality of the sexes, therefore I'm a feminist. Who wouldn't be?

Orbit Level 7 Feb 24, 2018

I do consider myself a feminist and find myself more so as I age. I just think women are equal to men and should be treated as such. Same for all minorities.

Of course I am. I'm completely in favor of equality for everyone.

I believe in equality but I don’t advocate for women’s rights. That doesn’t mean I don’t believe in them. So, I guess I’m not a feminist due to the fact that feminists are advocates. I’m a humanist though.

And it’s not my responsibility to advocate for every issue in the world. Are you actively working against the slave trade in Darfur? I bet you’re not. Are you advocating for fathers rights in the family court system? Just because I’m not actively advocating for women’s rights doesn’t mean I don’t believe in them. @Fanburger

You’d be wrong, but I’d bet you’re republican. @Fanburger

Yes, without a doubt, I have a mother, sister, daughter, I want them to have full equality. I would like to change the name though.

Prefer Egalitarian, because a vocal minority of feminists have started to pollute the essence of the word, like men are all pigs etc. The word itself sounds off for it's original purpose "feminine." Think how off masculinist would sound.

I'm a humanist, so it goes without saying. However, the feminist movement in USA has been hijacked by terrible people like Linda Sarsour.

Marz Level 7 Feb 24, 2018

I'm all in on the feminist movement. So that makes me a feminist and here is why. I have seen this bias in a large corporation. I have seen women fight for promotions they deserved but did not get. I saw them win most of these fights. But why should women have to fight for what should have been freely given? It is wrong for this bias against women to exist that permeates throughout out our work, social, political, and family cultures. It is way past due for women to have equal pay, equal say, equal costs, equal representation, equal opportunity for any job, and equal responsibility that goes with it. There are so many bad side effects from this injustice that need to go away. I was so disgusted by the way women were treated in our last national election. Lets make it happen. I'm here to help in any way I can beyond what I already do. I consistently vote for women's causes. I also have done volunteer work at local safe houses to ensure there is a healthy and safe environment for battered women and children to have a decent place to heal.

I believe that women should have equal rights as men. So, yes, call me a feminist.

sure I have said this before but I am saying it again. There are 3 definitions of Feminism as far as I can see. 1 the empowerment of women, 2 gender equality and 3 the hatred of men. I am all for the first 2 and not so much the last one

@PaganMomma agreed. I was more reffering to other peoples definitions

I'm definitely a lesbian. does that count?

I am not as feminist would mean that I see a difference in the genders people are people I will treat a women the same way I will treat a guy. I will hold the door for anyone and pull a chair out for anyone that may need/want it. gender does not matter anymore, I have known men that are much better mothers to their kids then their biological mothers, and I have known women that can beat the hell out of any of my (*so called) tough mates.

I hate labels. All of them.

Our world isn't equal. The balance btwn the our sexes is off. So, I would have to say, yes. At least, until or if, the balance shifts. In all of our differences we humans have, sexism is most prevalent. It knows no race, religion, creed, or any other sect of our global society. I will advocate for this equality and work to maintain it, if it happens in my lifetime. Same goes for the next life, if there is such a thing.

I did in the past (living in England ) and still am within myself , but with a slightly faded touch as I now live in Northern Ireland and there is little feminist movement as such because it is more about sectarianism and a peace movement .
I live on the North Coast and its quite far away from the City of Belfast. I was'nt here when people were getting it really rough though I have had some wacky moments like a rifle pointed at me though our car window after the IRA threw a bomb into Antrim Barracks.

@diabhal I was in a car once and the largest policeman with the largest gun came to tell me off about not wearing my seatbelt when we were clearly in a traffic jam caused by the police & were not going to be going anywhere fast any time soon - boy he was a bully! So used to english policemen being extraordinarily polite and gunless - it was a shock and a half.

I support equal rights. I also see that there are different strengths and weaknesses inherit to both sexes. If supporting equality makes me a feminist, then label me as such if you wish. I prefer the term "decent human being" though.

To be honest, I don't even know what that means. I have always fought this idea that women are somehow "not equal" with men, but the word has been used against me by just about everybody. Conservatives, Liberals, women, men... So I don't know how to use that word anymore.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28510
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.