Agnostic.com

11 16

QUESTION This incredible photo of a single trapped atom is absolutely breathtaking

At the very center of the image above is something incredible - a single, positively-charged strontium atom, suspended in motion by electric fields.

Not only is this an incredibly rare sight, it's also difficult to wrap your head around the fact that this tiny point of blue light is a building block of matter.

Tiny specks of energy just like this one are at the center of so much of the stuff around us, and the thought that we can see this one makes our hearts hurt.

zblaze 7 Feb 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maybe I posted in the wrong thread?

Amateur Astronomer Captures Very First Light of a Supernova for the First Time in History
A one in ten million shot.

By David Grossman - Feb 21, 2018

First light supernovaUC SANTA CRUZ AND LAS CAMPANAS OBSERVATORY, CHILE

An amateur astronomer in Argentina has done something no scientist has ever been able to do—capture the first burst of light from the supernova explosion of a massive star.

Víctor Buso of Rosario, Argentina, the country's third-most populous city, was testing a new camera on his 16-inch telescope on September 16, 2017. He focused on the spiral galaxy NGC 613, which is approximately 80 million light-years from Earth and can be found within the southern constellation Sculptor.

Although an amateur observer of the night sky, Buso has a lifelong passion for the stars. He was inspired as a child when he saw Neil Armstrong land on the moon in 1969, and the next year he witnessed the Bennett comet fly over the Argentinian. Buso tells the Washington Post that he began building his own telescopes at age 11 using tin cans, magnifying lenses, and Play-Doh. On the night in question, Buso, a 58-year-old locksmith, was using something more advanced: a 40-centimeter telescope housed in an astronomy tower that he built on his roof, affectionately dubbed Observatorio Busoniano.

Taking a series of short-exposure photographs, he noticed a muted point of light. It appeared to be brightening near the end of a spiral arm, previously invisible in the first set of photographs. The speck was just a pixel of light, but a pixel that hadn't appeared in any prior photos. Buso, a self-taught astronomer, hadn't seen anything like it before and, as it turns out, neither had any other astronomer in history.

“I thought, ‘Oh, my God, what is this?’ he tells the Post.

Eventually, his photos found their way to Melina Bersten, an astrophysicist at the Argentine Institute of Astrophysics of La Plata. “We immediately noticed this was an incredibly important discovery,” Bersten says. “Given that we don’t know where and in which moment a supernova is going to explode, it is very easy to lose this very fast early phase.”

“Professional astronomers have long been searching for such an event,” said UC Berkeley astronomer Alex Filippenko, who followed up the discovery with observations and a detailed analysis of the explosion, which is now called SN 2016gkg. “Observations of stars in the first moments they begin exploding provide information that cannot be directly obtained in any other way.”

Scientists estimate that the chances of Buso making the discovery were one in 10 million, possibly one in 100 million. Seeing the very first light of a supernova will allow scientists to better track the explosion throughout its evolution.

“Buso’s data are exceptional,” says Fillppenko. “This is an outstanding example of a partnership between amateur and professional astronomers."

2018 has been a good year for amateur scientists. Earlier this year, an amateur paleontologist discovered some of the most concrete evidence ever seen of early mammals and dinosaurs interacting together.

If you were thinking about buying a telescope and mounting it on your roof, now might be the time.

Hadron Collider?

How cool is that?!? Imagine if a box camera photographer from the 1800's could time travel to now an see that?

Agreed 🙂

It is impressive whether we are seeing it at "five orders of magnitude or 100 thousand times smaller."

So many cliches come to mind but nothing profound other than how can someone not want to learn more about evolution?

At least scientists can show us real pictures of seemingly invisible things. Lets see the religionist match that (the things have to be there before one can show it).

Wow.

Just wow.

same, just stunned.

A remarkable photo!

Even at this range, it seems huge for an atom. Are we seeing the actual atom or the tiny radiance of its light? By my meager estimation, its about half a micrometer wide. We use micrometers to measure cells. So I should read more as it comes available.

Wow, when I was in high school we were taught that such a fete was in no way possible, how wrong may physic teacher was.

Wow, when I was in high school we were taught that such a fete was in no way possible, how wrong may physic teacher was.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28552
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.