Agnostic.com

7 1

What is the purpose of life?

We eat, we sleep, we go to washroom, we study, we work, we compete, we fight, we hurt, and we die, this is what everyone does, and we have been doing this since thousands years ago, what is the purpose?
What next? is life purposeless? is life bullshit and meaningless?

NR92 6 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It seems that we are obliged to answer some version of this question at least once a day.

The answer remains the same ... purpose and meaning are not externally bestowed from on high, they are found individually. To find fulfillment, satisfaction and contentment we do not have to do soaring, heroic, exceptional, transcendent things; ordinary everyday things are not only acceptable but actually to be preferred, because they more accurately reflect our true scope as the tiny, humble, limited, insignificant, mortal creatures that we are.

Some days all I manage to accomplish is to take a good dump. Some days I improve throughput on a critical routine by 25%. Some days I (usually accidentally, so far as I can tell) do something that sends my wife into fits of rapture at my wonderfulness. I find this all meaning enough. The fact that "everyone else" does it or it's been done "for thousands of years" is immaterial. I have no particular need to be seen as (or see myself as) special.

By definition, the vast majority of us are ordinary anyway. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, accepting your unremarkableness probably indicates you've finally gotten over yourself.

[reviverestore.org]
Here is a purpose.

The purpose of life is to find a purpose.

Why does life have to have a purpose ?

Because with no purpose one is then taking up room in a crowded world

@Countrywoman Purpose or no purpose one takes up the same space

This very much depends on how you are defining purpose.
If you are asking is life a part of some overall divine plan in a chain of cause and effect then perhaps you are better off talking to a theologian.
If you mean does life have a integral place in the workings of the universe, in that reality only exist once measured or observed then perhaps the writings and theories of Werner Heisenberg and Erwin Schrödinger may give you some answers.
However if you are speaking on a purely philosophical and anthropological level then in my opinion the purpose of life is to effect change either negative or positive, to leave the human world different, for your presence having been. I choose to interpret this as it being my duty to contribute to the overall level of positivity in reality, by creating, receiving and passing on joy and love, others will do it differently, but the true evil is to promote neither negativity or positivity but to enable stagnation.

Sharing

cava Level 7 Feb 11, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:286633
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.