Agnostic.com

14 2

Do you date religious people and what has been your experience with their reaction towards your lifestyle?

Nickfarms 3 Feb 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In the past, I have dated (tolerated) religious people, but not so much now, unless they are pretty open-minded, but if they were open-minded, then they probably wouldn't be religious anyway.

I have dated someone who was "religious" and it won't happen again. Talk about polar opposites! After the first date, I told him I thought he was nice, but we don't have a lot in common, his response was that I hadn't accepted "the lord yet." (I did not know he was this religious when I accepted the date) I told him I don't believe in fairy tales, nor would I ever "worship" an invisible deity. He started to argue, but I told him I have to re-write my thesis on "witchcraft in the 21st century" and we parted ways.

ParkS Level 4 Feb 26, 2018

My last girlfriend was a bible thumper. It lasted for about three months before she started trying to "save me." That lasted for all of a week before she gave up and we broke up. That was about 3 years ago now.

I was very much in love with a woman who held some interesting “New Age” beliefs. I suppose I tried to be tolerant, but I suspect I came across as being condescending. In the final analysis we split up. Since that time I've tried to stay away from believers of any “faith” based religion. Relationships are hard enough when you have similar beliefs and values.

I tried. She preached to me, then started using deception to get me to go to church. I finally dumped her on the doorstep of her church, and I was her ride.

Ruzho Level 3 Feb 25, 2018

Not for long.

Where I live, pretty much everybody is religious, so I don't have much choice in the matter. Sometimes there were real connections, and we could agree on similar topics and points of view. None have lasted forever though.

Absolutely not.

I've been in fairly long-term relationships with a few religious people, including a church-going Christian and a Hindu. I respected their beliefs, they respected my lack of belief; had they or I not been willing and able to do that I imagine we'd not have been in romantic relationships in the first place.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 25, 2018

No -I do get stick sometimes but its in a jokey way - Like I get called 'the wee heathen!' I do a lot of work for charity because I enjoy being busy and useful so that goes some way to calming people down about my lifestyle choices - Happily I have a partner who was born here in N.I. who became agnostic before i met him and he is well respected, so I have a small way in there too.

I haven't dated a Christian since I left the church in my early 20's. I didn't want to be part of anything they'd be apologizing and asking forgiveness for, and we obviously didn't share important values. I was in a 14-year partnership with a pagan. We were both Unitarian Universalists, and the fact that I was an atheist wasn't a problem at all to him. He didn't try to push his belief on me or my daughter, and I didn't try to push lack of belief on him or his children.

I have run into a great many supposedly Christian men who feel compelled to tell me that I'm going to hell because of being an atheist, being ethically non-monogamous, and refusing to sleep with them. They continue to prove to me that I'm absolutely right in not agreeing to even consider going out with theists.

No religious people in my life!

I will date anyone with 3 bonafide holes at birth. No need to bring up discrepancies but I will take my chances. I don't hide what I am and I don't feel at war with god or religion, contrary to many I Ignore it, so I live as if your question never occurred to me.

Dating religious people is difficult, because they see things different than me. I have a strong religious background, but now I am an atheist. So I understand how they feel, but I do not agree with them. They look at problems in a different way than me. They think God is always involved and he will solve their problems. I think that is a dangerous way to live and not reality. Solving the problem works better than a useless prayer.

That is something that had been an issue that I hadn't considered much until recently. That explains a lot of the conversations or arguments I've had with my more religious ex girlfriends

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:28702
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.