Agnostic.com

8 8

Geriatric kamikaze pilot blasting through space at 35 mph

That's what I felt like this morning, driving west on U.S. Hwy. 2 on poorly-sanded ice with blowing snow.

This morning, I drove 15 miles west to Cashmere for a hair trim at 10:00 a.m. Terrible road conditions in a another snowstorm. Death-grip on the wheel. When I tried speeding up, my tires spun out.

Snowmageddon 2019. (Note: Snoqualmie Pass is closed due to weather conditions, near zero visibility, and multiple collisions.)

"What's shakin'?" my hairstylist, Kameon, said cheerfully. "Did you stop by for a chat?" I looked at her blearily.

Turns out my appointment was at 1:00. Another fine job. (Lays head on desk.)

It was traumatic enough driving to Cashmere once today. Another heavy snowstorm had already started. Road conditions on the return trip were worse.

I rescheduled for next week. Hope it will be better then.

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A hair raising story if there ever was one! 🙂

Driving home from Seattle last winter, heading east on Hwy. 2, I was starting up the last steep incline to Stevens Pass, when suddenly the cars in front of of me slid off the road and crashed.

The road was hard ice. In a massive ice storm. Immediately, I downshifted to low, and crept up the ice at 7 mph. Drivers stood numbly beside their crashed cars, watching me go.

An emergency rescue vehicle was in front of me. "They can rescue me if I crash," I thought, relieved. But at the summit, they turned into the ski area. So, I headed east alone, steeply downhill.

Stevens Pass closed behind me, I later learned. That massive ice storm lasted 44 miles, from Skykomish to Leavenworth. Down... steeply down... and around sharp curves on ice, I lightly braked, holding my breath. "Please... please ... get around the curve..." Watching for fallen trees on the road.

The Nason Ridge Rest Area was filled with cars and trucks: people spending the night. I passed crashed cars that slid off the road. The highway was sheet ice. Pelted by tiny ice balls, on I drove: 15...11...7 mph.

It took me FOUR HOURS to drive 44 miles on hard ice. Raining ice. The road was steep and extremely curvy. I made it safely because I drove slow enough for the conditions.

When I descended to Leavenworth, the road surface turned from ice to wet pavement. I nearly cried with relief. But I still had 35 miles to get home and could not relax.

The next day I felt like I had been beaten with a 2 x 4. That was the most harrowing drive I ever experienced.

@LiterateHiker It will make one super tense. I was driving through north texas years ago, doing 65 or so on a two lane road. All of a sudden I went into a slide. There was a car coming in the other lane coming toward me and a car sitting on the side of the road, so l tried to steer toward the parked car, the lesser of two evils so to speak. He must have seen me coming and pulled out just as l got to where he was sitting. I came to a stop where he had been sitting. I had hit black ice. The highway did not change in appearance. It looked dry as a bone. I had to sit there for a bit and get my shit together. Scary stuff.

@LiterateHiker Way more hairy than my two worst winter experiences, but the one thing in common was probably the real, palpable fear I had each time that I was in real danger of going off the road, getting stuck with no help for hours, and probably dying out there in the snow and cold. Each time I was driving down two lane roads that were white out and deep in snow, coming home from work and hoping I could blast thru the snow drifts on the road without getting stuck or hitting a stalled/stuck car in front of me that might be beyond my vision thru the heavy snowfall.

After surviving both episodes, I resolved that I would never again risk my life driving thru deadly winter storms for a fucking job......

Highway 2. I drove that road for two years in the snow, during white outs and blizzards. I am glad I am no longer close to that road. You can have all the fun.

I think I would have canceled the whole thing and gone another day.

4 storms crossing the nation in rapid succession this week.

My dear, I bet you can't wait for spring and weather for biking and hiking....

@TomMcGiverin

My women's hiking group hikes year-round. Snowshoes and microspikes provide traction. Winter is gorgeous in the woods and mountains.

As small, slender woman, with high exertion I soak my shirts with sweat which then freezes. I must change into dry shirts when we stop for lunch to prevent hypothermia.

Learned the hard way that putting a down jacket and raincoat over a wet shirt doesn't work. By the time I got home, I had hypothermia. It took over 24 hours to warm up my core.

Yesterday I went snowshoeing for two hours. Arriving home in wet clothes, I shivered all night long.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

@LiterateHiker Nope. You're a brave woman with the way you drive and hike. I'm more of a timid wimp, lol.

I love those traumatic trips that result in complete denouement. When I was 14 and had the house to myself on a rainy tuesday, I snuck out and drove alone for the first time in the honda my parents had bought for me to learn on. the cable was out, I had just finished reading the fellowship of the ring, and I wanted to swap it for part two at the library. I drove maybe 5 miles into town before remembering that the library shares a parking lot with the police station. Oops. I was already 6' and had more stubble than Shaggy from Scooby doo, so I took a chance that I looked 16 and pulled in, only to find the library closed earlier than expected. What can ya do but drive home n reschedule? ?

My weekly karaoke show is my social event and highlight of the week, but no way I would drive the 20 mi. trip there in those conditions, much less for a haircut or even a medical apt. if it couldn't be rescheduled for the week after. Kathleen, I'm glad you made it safely and hope the rest of your week is better....

Perhaps you should consider rescheduling for early June?

Or just cancelling altogether until it is safe to be on the road. I can't fathom ANYONE putting so much on the line for a haircut.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:287090
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.