Agnostic.com

13 6

LINK Do Animals Have Feelings? - The Atlantic

I know I'm going to get a bunch of comments based on the title alone, but please read the article.

Tomfoolery33 9 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

sure

ugly Level 7 Feb 12, 2019

Of course they do. It's part of being alive.

Yes, they do.

Cool read. Crows respond to a human pointing by looking in that direction; dogs reunited with their returning military owners respond by jumping, yipping, and licking the owner quickly and repeatedly; plants have been recorded "screaming" when a leaf is torn off. So I believe anything living/growing has feelings on some level.

some plants become more toxic when they realize they're being overrun by caterpillars. And have you ever gardened and gotten mimics? OMG one summer what I thought was Cosmos was RAGWEED??? Being new to both was all "this shit is taking FOREVER to flower!" Then once I realized I'd been punked, ripped them out with an anger that only a lying sneaky plant I'd doted on all summer could inspire. LOL
And trees communicate through underground networks of fungus...or something. 🙂

@Qualia What you said about trees communicating underground was very interesting. I'll make it a snowy night read, of which we have plenty. Thanks.

@EllenDale When I saw that was wondering wth is going on with our trees. Needle blight is everywhere up here and going to be the death of my girl's childhood Arbor Day tree.

@Qualia I had two topiary trees lost to the cursed needle blight. Broke my heart. Sorry about your girl's trouble with her tree. We should mail it to the WH and dream it will kill him.

@EllenDale haha tree voodoo. I love it!
I"m so sorry about your tree. I get very attached to ours. Imagine you weren't able to treat it?

And thanks. It's awful. I've a botanist tell me the only chance it has is to treat it with a heavy duty super toxic fungicide, can't do that as it's smack in the back yard with our dogs. ?

I never see people consider the long term impact this crazy weather is having on our trees. When the trees give up that's it. I kind of like breathing.

Your article was interesting; however, it makes one sad to imagine the suffering man inflicts on animals and the planet! ??

At what point in the development of humans, from fertilised egg cells to adults, do they acquire feelings and consciousness? I think it is the same with animals in the evolutionary development. I would even venture, that plants have them at some level. I regard some animals as I would a 2/3 year old child

I agree.

I wonder if octopus grieve.
[bbcearth.com]

"There are essentially four components to death that psychologists have identified: Irreversibility, non-functionality (the dead do not respond to anything), causality (the biological basis of death), and universality: all living things will die, including yourself.

“When, and in what order did we acquire these components?” she asks. “To understand the extent to which non-humans possess any of these components can tell us a great deal about the evolutionary origins of our own cognition.”

cava Level 7 Feb 11, 2019

Of course animals have feelings. The higher up the eolutionary scale, the greater the potential range of feelings.

Yes. Depends on the feelings and the animal. Anger - for sure. Grief - maybe. Love - does anyone or anything? Etc.

I had this argument when I was in high school with a kid next to me. He went on and on for 20 minutes about how animals had no feelings, etc.

It finally occurred to me that perhaps, maybe, he had never had a cat or a dog. So I asked him if he has ever had a pet.

Without missing a beat, he said, "I had a worm once."

? I truly believe children who weren't raised being taught how to nurture another living creature successfully, kindly, are deprived and too often it shows way into adulthood.
I'm so thankful I was allowed to keep all sorts of pets, and in turn, am passing that on (I hope).

@Qualia Isn't it funny how so many conversations about abnormalities in human always come full circle back to the Perpatrator in Chief? LOL

@EllenDale Trump is the first president in 130 years to have no pets.

@EllenDale IKR? No escape?

From observations, it is apparent to me that dogs and cats do. I had a cat given to me (years ago), that if, when I can home and did not go directly to the refrigerator and give him something to eat, he would tear into my legs with his claws. It was either kill him or give him away...opted to give him to a guy and gal I knew who wanted him due to his beautiful Grey fur and green eyes(he was a handsome devil). A short time later I heard the guy took him out and shot him due to his newly acquired habit of jumping into the warm, freshly laundered clothes basket and urinating. So in that case, that cat seemed to be expressing an emotion when he clawed my legs...anger...as did the guy who shot him for peeing in the warm clothes, fresh from the dryer.

I think there is sometimes truth in "color personalities" with animals. e.g. Red dobermans being goofy and overtly affectionate... tuxedo cats funny & sweet, etc.

I've a dear friend who had a psychotic "blue"(grey) cat that was legendary at ripping up veterinary staff. When that cat passed she got another just like it, a gorgeous, GORGEOUS long haired silver cat with the palest of green eyes. That cat is pure evil, but my gf loves it.
I couldn't live with what that cat has done, wired wrong.

We are animals and we have feelings, so...

You win the internet for today.

Interesting. And disturbing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:287163
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.