Agnostic.com

92 7

How do you respond when people say they will pray for you?

Vikay 4 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

92 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I say: "Do not pray for me. Instead, pray for the children like Gabriel Fernandez who was beaten, abused, and killed by his parents, had no one to help him, or stand by him in his last days..." They usually shut up after that. If not, I tell them to pray for themselves instead....HAHAHAHAHA. If they continue, I tell them to not pray but do something good in action instead, as Gd said: "these rotten people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me"... HAHAHHAHA

Level 1 Aug 16, 2021
  1. If praying helped anyone, no one would need anyone else to pray...
  2. Don't waste your time...
  3. I'll let you know if, if your prayer helped..(then never let them know.)
  4. Please don't.

Of course, most of the time, I don't respond, and hope they go away....

I say to them how selfish they are -------- prayer has no property than to make the praying person feel good about themselves ......... It is the same as yoga ., tai chi, meditation , relaxation therapy etc ........... It has no other use !!!!

"Thanks."

They mean well in their own way. ?‍♀️ I have bigger fish to fry than a well meaning sentiment. Unless they mean in a "for your heathen soul" sort of way, then I might have more to say. Or not. I generally have better things to do than spar windmills.

Most people who say this don't mean it, it is just a place filler for "sorry your hurting" or some such. I am still a closet atheist for the most part so I just say thanks.

If it makes them feel better, have at it! As long as they are not requesting I chant along.

I tell them I'll rub my magic lamp for them.

That’s cool

I just thank them and change the subject. All are entitled to believe as they wish.

I say thanks. I never turn down positive thoughts.

I'll think for you...

Hutch Level 7 Mar 12, 2018

Usually just smile. If it's a close friend who knows my views, I may make a joke back.

I think that response was from Christopher Hitchens.

I just smile and move on. And when people ask me to pray for them, I just say I'm an Atheist but I'll keep them in my thoughts and wish them well.

It depends on the situation. If I am at a Catholic Hospital and a person walks into the room and says they will pray for me I thank them for their time and effort. I tell them I would be happy to pray for them and those they love. Nothing wrong with this situation as it has more to do with respect and being kind. It is not a lie as I was raised Catholic and know what the concept means. I would compare what I am stating to meditation as to their condition, Spending time offering comfort to another person is not a lie or conflicting for me. As it has nothing to do with God just my energy and thought being conveyed to another.

Personally, I appreciate it, because I know that that is THEIR best, and they've thought to offer that to me. I say "thank you" and carry on. #PoliteAtheist

I thank them. Prayer has a net benefit. It doesn't do squat for those being prayed about, but it makes the one doing the praying feel good. So, on aggregate, mankind benefits from somebody praying.

Others also feel better as they are being valued and helped.

Well, valued yes. That in itself may help the prayed for feel better. It's always nice to know someone cares. I don't believe that prayer will change an outcome if there is no other variable involved.

Couldn't hurt.

I always say,"Thank for caring enough to do the very least. BTW since you're going to be on your knees any way could you do something that will make me feel better."

Depending on the circumstance, I thank them or simply don't respond, if the situation allows. If it's disdain, superiority, "praying for my soul", I'll likely smile, maybe chuckle, and walk away. If they press the issue I'm not above debating with them. If it's simply a believer expressing support or concern, I'll thank them. I may not believe as they do, but I can appreciate well-meant sentiment

I say thank you. It's the perfect response. If they are praying because they are wanting better for your life it is not wrong to wish good for others they have theirs. Instead if I will pray for you I say you will be in my thoughts.

If they are saying it with a witty bit of sarcasm it's still the perfect response. Like I will pray for you be cause your an atheist. A sarcastic thank you and blessings your heart is still something that gets them every time..

Go right ahead. I can use alk the help I can get.

It rather depends. In the south, where I lived most of my life, "I'll pray for you" is quite often an insult. Which is best ignored.

If someone is showing genuine concern, and I don't know them well, I may say "thank you" or "okay, you do that." If it's someone I know well and they don't know, or have forgotten, that I'm a non-believer, I will say, "please don't, it messes with my karma." (just to be clear, I don't believe in "karma" either) You may be surprised at how many people agree to not pray for me when I say that!

I usually try to avoid conversations in which someone may say that to me.

My response varies depending on the person and or situation. I have to admit it comes across as condescending. Most of the times, I say "You know I am not superstitious, right?" This will bait them into an argument in which I will remind them that there are over 500 million people on this earth who go hungry everyday and their god doesn't give a ...

I usually say thank you. An leave it at that. Most do it it feel better. Sam with god bless you. I usually say you to.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:289
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.