Agnostic.com

92 7

How do you respond when people say they will pray for you?

Vikay 4 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

92 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

i respond......positive vibes

I say if that makes them feel better go ahead.

I thank them and go on my way. It doesn't bother in the least. I'm not a militant atheist.

Most of the people that I know, know better than to say it but if they did, I would basically say, naw thats ok, don't waste your time. It's not going to change any outcome no matter what it is. Never understood how this praying thing would do any good and why people would think it would change anything..like they have power over someone's life by doing that. Which god is going to hear that particular prayer & will it be in a different language, then how is this invisible being going to grasp what is being said.. oh ya.. the all knowing all whatever.. then why bother praying if thats the case.

That's nice - knock yourself out

I think them, because they’re doing something they truly believe people benefit me.

Yes you can pray for a BILLION DOLLARS!

I usually say something non-commital like "Oh", or shrug. I'm not going to change their mind. If they are a friend, I will try not to be rude. If they are rude about it, I won't respond at all.

I usually observe that age old adage .. From my schooldays ' well, it's your own time youre wasting ' .

I just say, "Sure, OK!" I believe these are people that don't know what else to say. They have been indoctrinated so much, that they don't know how to say, "I wish you well!!!"

I say thanks, and move the conversation in another direction.

I really hate when I hear this. It doesn't help at all.

I take it in the spirit in which it is said which usually is to wish me well. If it is response to something they consider blasphemous then they might get a cutting reply.

Usually just say "thank you" because I know they mean well, and I don't want to get into a whole philosophical discussion. (It wouldn't be worth it with most of the ones offering to pray anyway).

I usually don't say anything. Those words smack of condescension sometimes and I don't like that.

Depends on who say it. To people who knew I don't believed in all that numble-jumble, tell them don't waste their time. To people who don't know, a thank you.

I always say thank you. I know, at least for the most part, these people are being sincere. Why be a jerk, because these fine people happen to have beliefs that differ from mine? To do otherwise wouldn't be Christian. LOL

Thanks for the thought, but if you REALLY want to help, try this...

bls63 Level 2 Oct 19, 2017

As a cancer patient people say this to me ALL THE TIME! ugh! In the past I’ve tried to be nice about it and just respond with “thank you” but after a while it started wearing on me so now I just say “okay” and walk away. Usually I’ll put an eye roll in there too for good measure.

usually just say thank you.. and move on.. as with the bible, and any other religious elements, I take the best of intention of it, and ignore the rest. Now if they are foolish enough to try to convert me.. or ask me what I beliefs are.. that's a different story.

please don't waste your time on my behalf

I heard a atheist/humanist (i don't recall what he considered himself). speaker on radio once say that when people would say that to him, he'd reply something like "Okay, thank you. And I'll think for you."

"Thank you. I appreciate your intention" and move on from there

I have friends that genuinely believe and dedicate much of their life to help others. I also have acquaintances that use faith as a weapon. If a genuine friend says this I thank them for caring, otherwise I say pray for whatever you want, I'm going to sacrifice a goat, specifically I'm ordering chiva tacos at my favorite Mexican restaurant.

I'll usually say thanks and let it go. Not always but most of the time. As with everything it depends

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:289
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.