Agnostic.com

16 3

I was reading something on a science post about Neanderthals doing cave paintings and burying their dead and putting flowers in the grave sites, How long do you think humanity has been seeking an answer to the mysteries of life and death?

JoytotheWorld 3 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Be careful about believing everything you read, especially on the internet. However, what you read about the Neanderthals is 100% true. I'm a retired archaeologist, and there is no way to tell what kind of introspection was taking place at what point in human development. All we can say for certain is based on the physical evidence left behind.

Since they became self aware

For as long as we’ve had the capacity to think with the high brain and not have solid answers.

They ritualized death similarly to how elephants do, and married into Homo sapien sapien (re: bred into.)

Possible since Homo Habilis..

I would argue further back if my recollection is right about habilis.... were they before erectus or after?

@ScientistV after..

Thought so... It’s been a long minute from anthropology and the social construct studies to truly articulate, but we know some birds, and a lot of mammals have concept of mourning. A majority have no expounded ritual but have depression, but wherein a higher intellect exists (as in outside of problem solving for survival) you see some rituals and tribal knowledge readily there. I believe Erectus started to show enough frontal development to suggest enough forebrain to have those thoughts. You can actually teach several primates about religion (chimps, apes, gorillas, etc.) and lo, they’ll imagine a god in their image, but questioning the hereafter may be more “emotional intelligence” which elephants are high on the list of. It would be curious to see if bonobos can demonstrate the tendency. @Charlene

For a long time now.

For as long as we've been capable of feeling and expressing the emotion of love.

I don’t think that holds true, other animals express love, they also mourn loss but do so without developing obvious signs of thought to what happens after death, more like mourning loss in life. Lionesses, polar bears, lots of mammals. Even birds, swans for instance, turtle doves too.

What's love got to do with it?

@jlynn37 @jlynn37 Love, it seems to me, would have been the primal driver behind the question of what happens after death. To have someone you love, alive one moment and then suddenly unresponsive, would, apart from inconsolable grief, generate conjecture regarding an afterlife and the hope for a potential reunion.

I think man has wondered about life after death for more than a million years. It must have been a real puzzle to figure what happened to the life that was gone, and yet the body was still there. This was probably the beginning of ancestor worship.

I think that everyone sees their loved ones die--and can't help what wonder what their absence would be like in their lives. I remember going to my grandmother's wake, seeing her body in the casket, and not having any grief whatsoever. I was 9, and had the memories of her. The body in the casket was not her. I knew that much.

The mystery of life? "Life is suffering and short" (Leon Tolstoy?

The existence beyond the veil of death was revealed by McCoy and Spock. ( paraphrasing ) Spock: " it would help our discussion if we had a common frame of reference". McCoy: " you mean that I would have to die to talk to you about it? " Spock: " That would be logical. "

Nice article in The Grauniad today about the recently-discovered Neanderthal cave art with homo sapiens additions. I wonder how long it'll be before someone argues the symbol on the right is a propellor-driven vehicle of some type? [theguardian.com]

Jnei Level 8 Feb 26, 2018

I read in a national geographic many years ago in a dentist waiting room on neanderthals and how they would keep dead relatives in the back of the cave and cover them with flowers. For the smell?
And now I also saw the article about the artwork,
pretty dam awesome in my books.

I don't think it's seeking to understand so much as a coping mechanism for grief. A grave provides a lasting connection with someone who has died. And of course the religious notion that everyone is reunited in an afterlife takes away the finality.

I don't think it's seeking to understand so much as a coping mechanism for grief. A grave provides a lasting connection with someone who has died. And of course the religious notion that everyone is reunited in an afterlife takes away the finality.

Since we first became self aware. We did understand the complexities of life/death and needed an explanation for it. Out of that ignorance sprouted religion.

The burial of Mungo man used ochre. Estimated at over 40000 years here in Australia. A homo sapien

There is evidence that a pre-homo sapiens species in South Africa buried their dead about 300,000 years ago. They also seem to have used ochre in rituals. i think they were called something like Homo nialus.

Neanderthals were cave artists, researchers find

Drawings and jewelry found in Spain too old to have been made by modern humans
Maggie Fox, Feb 23, 2018
NBC News

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.