Agnostic.com

11 4

Jesus is a bigot who preached division and rewarded ignorance and stands to torture those who exercises free speech and free expression by fire for non belief

Hitchslap23 3 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

First he has to exist!

Many people may believe to justify their own prejudices and anti-social behaviors, but that is not what Jesus (assuming he actually existed), actually taught.

Personally, I think it very likely that Jesus was a fictional character in a popular story, which was them plagiarized by many others. When Cervantes wrote "Don Quixote", it was popular and there were many imitators who plagiarized the characters. All the "gospels" or stories of jesus were written about 200 years after he supposedly lived. There were at least 40-60 "gospels" or stories of Jesus ,making the rounds, all of htem different and often contradicting each other, and most incoporated familiar religious themes and stories from other religions of the time period. I think it started with one story and like with Cervantes, the popularity of the story spawned many imitators. It is very likely that the original story was an early version of the current book of Mark (accordign to biblical scholars), where a miracle worker (not an uncommon thing of the time, only now we'd call them "faith healers" ) came to believe he was the messiah and ended up being crucified. No mircles, no virgin birth, no resurrection. That was all added in later versions and by imitators of the original story.

It appears many posters on here need to read a few of the New Testaments...it is not cool, nor does it do us atheists & agnostics any good, to trash someone, even a mythical someone, without knowledge...and while you are at it, learn some history so you can see the context of the ideas

all of the original poster's points correspond to at least one verse or passage in the new testament... but please don't read it. the bible is trash and dumb to smoke

Absolutely true @bootaski

I never understood why people(even some atheists)think that Jesus was such a moral paradigm, when he is actually the standard for abusers and despots. "Love me or else" "You're nothing without me" "You can't love anyone more than you love me...even your family" "Let me do your thinking for you"

Jesus, even if he ever lived, was not the man today's Christians describe him to be. Today's Jesus is created in the image of the preacher speaking.

True! Very true! Jesus would not love our constitution haha

I agree! christian hell is a nasty concept. christianity is deceptive. it offers positive things, but at a price... and puts its own subtle spin on morality in the process

Ummm, jeezus never mentioned hell, nor does the entire babble except in a few weirder parts of Revelations.

@AnneWimsey yes he did, get your facts straight. the new testament is full of descriptions of punishment

@bootaski not from jeezus words.........quote something?

@AnneWimsey i'll dm them to you

@bootaski got your PM...not one mention of "Hell",plus some really pathetic quotes, for example using the parable of the "banquet in heaven" as grossly punitive, and absolutely no idea of context/history! Oh, and jeezus was a "bigot" because he "preferred Jews"...of which he was one! I stand firmly by my original post!

@AnneWimsey are you lying, or did you just not read the verses i mentioned? i gave you the book and verse number for the hell quote in the first line of the dm

@AnneWimsey listen, whatever your reason for saying what you did, we're both agnostics. let's cease hostilities. I just believe that the bible is not worth reading, and that apologist interpretations can be a slippery slope into conversion

Yup! Jesus, even though he didn't exist according to Roman or any other factual records, was a bigoted piece of shit.

I think that you have a case about the institutions of some religious, but I would like to see some evidence that Jesus advocated for any of that.

Are you asking for a citation?

@Hitchslap23 yes.

Pick one...?@JeffB

And.....?

I see a lot of post where the atheist either gives respect or doesn't know how approach Christianity. The core principles of the religion if stated as a matter of fact show how horrible the proposal is. Just a friendly reminder on where jesus ranks in historical figures. I have heard of torture and murder by humans. But a god who can provide infinite torture for finite crimes such as non belief seems to be the the most evil being to ever exist. If people need help in how to approach people who give respect and love to a monster like this, then that seems to be the main problem.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29386
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.