Agnostic.com

16 4

It's like day 11 of being an atheist and everything going great. Life is so much easier without God and religion.

freedom41 9 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have been an atheist for a few years. I highly recommend you do some reading. I liked "The God Delusion" Richard Dawkins, "God is not Great" Christopher Hitchens and "Godless" by Dan Barker. There are a lot of good ones but those are my favorites.

Nuke Level 5 Feb 27, 2018

Is there any atheist holidays I should know about?

Have you remembered to cancel the bank standing order for the tithe? That will make you feel even better as you see your bank balance growing rather than the churches.

I never had a bank arrangement like that. However it less trips to the ATM. Thank you for the suggestion.

Do you use "godabate" tm. chewing gum, arm patches or inhalers?

LMAO ROFL

Well done!

Now smoke a big doobie and let your mind wander !

You also save a lot of time by not going to services and also save a lot of money by not giving tithes and offerings.

yes, I know. that is one the best parts of being an atheist.

@freedom41 but you still have to be charitable and compassionate

@markdevenish I dont' know about anyone else, but I have become a lot more reticent about charities, as those in charge of some charities take huge salaries for themselves.

But, if you would just believe. lol. Welcome to the dark side. The side with thinking, logic, questioning, science.

I believe we are on the inlightend side of things. It's weight off my shoulders not dealing bs of religion.

Did you quit being religious because it was easier or because it logically made sense to not be religious?

It was logic. I got tired of dealing bs of religion and worshiping a god that doesn't exist.

Thank you for bringing up this aspect of your experience. I'm actually on day 11 of quitting smoking, so your statement struck me as odd, but I see elsewhere in the comments that someone else knows what year they became an atheist. I'm rather sure that I lost belief in the Christian God before I lost belief in the Easter Bunny, but I have entertained versions of God since then from time to time.

Was your experience more like coming to a logical conclusion and quitting God and religion like I quit smoking, was it a sudden realization, or have you been drifting this way for awhile, and just decided about 11 days ago that you were just going to cut this out of your life, or what?

All of above Elizabeth

Welcome to the dark side lol

lol

We give you a coin after 30 days.

Ifcthat the case, you guys owe me 45 years worth of coins.

It is not about life being easier. It is about living life in reality and using reason, logic and common sense as your way of living your life. IMHO

True. I'm glad I broke free from the brain washing of religion.

Awesome!
Now avoid the temptation to take your frustrations about religion out on people that still believe. We need more friendly rational patient atheist as a voice of reason in people's life. To help them and to prove we are not evil like they been told.
Was that too patronizing? Sorry. I guess I've met too many asshole atheist.
Welcome aboard.

JeffB Level 6 Feb 26, 2018

I can't wait until somebody gets stupid with me about religion. I'm going flat out tell them I'm an atheist. Then again I might take your approach.

@freedom41 I think it's ok to return fire when people get stupid. For the most part

Good luck with that approach. I agree that it would be the preferred way.

That is so good to hear, been an atheist since 2014 and I've never had a single regret. Living life free from religious bullshittery and brainwashing was one of the wisest choice I've made, and I'm really glad you did the same.

Congrats.

I only regret not becoming an atheist earlier is life.

@freedom41 I believe we are all born atheists. Then many of us are indoctrinated into whatever religious bullshit our families choose. Sometimes it takes, sometimes it doesn't. We shake off the indoctrination when we're ready. Don't regret not having done it sooner, that's just a waste of your time. Just be grateful you've returned to your rational default. Now you get to move forward with the rest of your life using reason and logic instead of delusion and lies. That's all that matters.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29451
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.