Agnostic.com

3 1

Religious Upbringing

I'm curious as to how many members of this site were raised in a religious vs nonreligious household. I was raised Traditionalist Catholic (SSPX in case anyone's familiar), and it certainly played a potent role in my formation as an Agnostic Deist. Were any of you raised in a religion, and, if so, did it impact your current conclusion on the subject?

TobleroneSpice 2 Feb 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

not i. i was raised in a secular jewish family. we had a strong cultural identity and virtually no religion, apart from holiday celebration.

g

Yes I was raised in a very religious household, fundamentalist in fact.

I do not know how my experience influenced me differently from others, I think there are way too many variables in play. My particular beliefs set up particular expectations that were violated in particular ways, but I think my personality, social status, parenting and education -- plus my particular life experiences -- had as much to do with it as religion.

Going to church taught me that as long as you give enough money anything is acceptable. Deciding that there was no reason to believe in a higher power or good just took education and real life experience.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:297667
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.