Agnostic.com

10 3

QUESTION GOPer: God Forgave Me For Pressuring My Mistress To Have An Abortion - The Intellectualist

I really have a problem with the idea of confession and forgiveness. I think if a person is truly sorry they will make reparations and try to set things right with those they "sinned" against. Not just confess, make a donation and have a church official tell them they are forgiven.

snytiger6 9 Feb 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Reminds me of a morality lecture from a group of Catholic boarding school victims. Years ago the old wemon told the kids in the school that (because an evil woman seduced a man into eating a fruit that god forbid), they were all evil and will do bad things because satin is real, lives on the earth, and is stronger then you so because you are worthless you will do bad things but that’s ok because Jesus died for your sins so all you have to do is go to the church and beg Jesus for forgiveness.

This short video, although it does not dictate confession, is worth watching as it brilliantly demonstrates the concept of "Christian forgiveness".

There is suck great potential for comedy here!

I'd like to see a video leek this done in an infomercial style to rely emphasize how ridiculous it is, instead of this low keyed satire, but I still laughed at this low keyed version just the saem.

I agree. Confession without remorse is nothing. Remorse, if true, always includes raparations, of some type. To the person, or community in the issue related! 12 Steps is based on making things right - if you can - an important ingredient that is correlated to wanting to change past behavior(s) from psychology.

Do you feel, like me, that public confessions are attention-seeking, not genuine and hide alterior motives (such as a get-out-of-jail free card in the sphere of public opinion)?

In my opinion, I've know too many who've simply become more secretive and creative to hide future ____ (insert a word for do-do) - and the 'çonfession' was regret of getting caught, nothing more.

I am of the opinion that the only remorse such persons ever feel is in being caught. They don't hve any remorse about the deeds they did. They act all remorseful, get "forgiven" and then go out and most likely just do it all again.

What is sad is the number of their constituent who believe he really prayed to God, and God forgave him. Now there is some real bullshit.

It's a work around. It allows them to do bad things, but all they have to do is confess and be forgiven to think of themselves as "good" people again. Of course most og the time they just go out and do ti again, and start the cycle of sin, confess and be forgiven all over again.

That is how history says the Protestant church started with Martin Luther. He was angry about many Catholic practices but chiefly the fact that priests were selling dispensations, I.e. forgiveness for your sins, at a price. This practice and others were among his treatise nailed to the church door in Nantes.

Only the names have changed.

Martin Luther was a Catholic priest that fell in love with a nun that he helped from a convent. This wasn’t a rebound romance, they were married 22 years. He traveled from Germany several times to Rome and was disappointed that the powers to be in the church were allowing indulgences or the forgiveness of sins by making a donation to the church.
He is famous for nailing the 95 Theses to the door of the All Saints Church in Wittenburg Germany, Which you might say 95 bitch points against the church and it really pissed of the Pope. He was excommunicated and I am amazed that he wasn’t drawn, quartered, and tortured to death.

Convenient the way people grant themselves absolution, isn't it? The most amazing thing is that they manage to convince other people to believe them.

Those who are certain they convinced another of their absolution are fools, imho.

I guess if you believe in the myth to begin with you'll believe in anything that comes after.

It always helps when your god is who you see when you look in the mirror...

Funny how Republicans have a direct line to God, but only use it when they’ve been caught doing something they speak against.

Marz Level 7 Feb 27, 2018

He says god forgave him? Pics or it didn't happen.

Another republican hypocrite.

His wife didn't forgive him . Sounds like a right asswipe

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29884
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.