Agnostic.com

21 4

What is the personality of the Holy Ghost?

When I was a kid we called them, Big Daddy, Junior and the Spook. I was raised a non catholic christian, seriously mixed up. We were taught God was this mega angry guy that pretty much did nothing but punish and demand worship, JC was the super loving guy who wouldn't hurt a fly, Gentle Jesus meek and mild etc. Nobody could ever give me a handle on the ghost dude. What is his persona? Was anyone ever given anything on this one? If so what? If not, any thoughts? I got nuthin. Casper?

Rugglesby 8 Feb 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They told me but I forgot.

🙂 🙂

I never understood any of the "explanations" I was given about the holy ghost/spirit when I was a kid. Or later. I went on to become a de facto atheist without ever understanding it. Maybe it was invented to give some meaning to the rather nice word "Trinity", since "Binity" just sounds stupid.

An apparition often brought forth by the consumption of mexican food , beans (these are also good for your heart) etc. #hole-y ghost

I was raised to believe that the Holy Spirit (we favored this term over ghost) was that 'still small voice' that guided your conscience. And it was the Holy Spirit that made you feel all 'warm inside' when you decided to give your life to Christ and be baptized, or you did something extraordinarily helpful and good, especially when no one was watching. I was taught that inspiration, such as the authors of the scriptures experienced, was the result of the Holy Spirit. But a personality? That would imply behavioral patterns and preferences, which we were not made aware of.

His personality doesn't exist. He's a fairy-tale.

I think of the trinity set up like a dysfunctional family, god as the narcissist parent, JC as the classic black sheep and the holy spirit as the golden child that can do no wrong 🙂

love it.

I hear he is very spirited.

The New Testament calls him the Comforter and Intercessor (one who intercedes on your behalf), so going by that, he is a Friendly Ghost.

so really he's the blueprint for Casper 🙂

I was raised catholic and we just thought of him as casper. He did not do anything that I know of but some people prayed to it a lot. He seemed to round ouit the prayer nicely.

Buggered if I know....

The Holy ghost to me. Now please understand this is coming from someone who never believed in God, jesus, the Holy ghost or any of the religious rhetoric that is preached. But to me the holy ghost if such a thing exists is a ref to the spirit or the soul you're spirit in the eyes of the church is you're purest or holiest of qualities therfore its reasonable to assume that its a direct link to the Holy ghost. Holy ghost, Holy spirit, Holy soul, Holier than though all for me point to the essence of homosapians

Thanks, a new perspective for me.

Non-existent.

The Holy Ghost was a spirit that never said very much. He was always "brooding on the waters" but you could never get away with blaspheming against him coz it would not be forgiven of you. If you were doing a cookout the Holy Ghost would be like the sauce that you put on the meat. It was only fitting that he would be the one who got Mary pregnant. The least you know the better.

Ever hear the one about the Three Jesuses of Kalamazoo? once upon a time, there was a State Mental Hospital in Kalamazoo, Michigan. In it, there were three patients, who each proclaimed themselves to be Jesus. To cure them of their delusions, the doctors decided to lock all three of them up, in the same room, for thirty days. At the end of the thirty days, they were let out. Whereupon, a doctor asked them if they still believed themselves to be Jesus. One of the three replied " Oh no! I'm the Father. He's the Son. And he's the Holy Ghost!" (This is supposedly a true story, I heard in abnormal psych class).

The Holy Spirit, as I see it from my Pentecostal upbringing, is the scariest douche among the Trinity. I was told that if I ever blashemed the Holy Ghost, I could never be forgivien...EVER! No matter how much I begged and groveled. So I guessed I'm doomed. %$#%#% the Holy Spirit!

damn straight, we will just call Ghost Busters.

Casper lol. Ridic, huh, when a anyone could tell you that you project a "spirit" into a room when you walk in right. That is a spirit, voila

I always interpreted it as God is the father and Jesus was the son. The Holy Spirit is that part of them both that "still lives."

Don't worry abought the holy ghost, he's as real as santa.

Like any fictional character, you can make him be whatever you want

Good question. I got nuttin.

As you know Matthew’s gospel and Luke’s gospel used Mark’s gospel as a template so we can often see parallel expositions of the same events in the gospels.

Compare these parallel verses in the gospels.

Matthew 12:28 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
28 But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

Luke 11:20 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
20 But if I cast out demons by the finger of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you.

As you can see, in Matthew’s gospel, Jesus casts out demons by the Holy Spirit but in Luke’s gospel he casts out demons by the finger of God.

Isn’t it demeaning for a God, the Holy Spirit to be equated with just a finger?

IMO this is evidence that the Holy Spirit is not God but just some fictional BS

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30279
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.