Agnostic.com

23 4

Without religion, what is sin?

Does sin even exist without religion or a god attached to it?

Rideauxb 7 Nov 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sin is purely a religious concept. The idea of 'original sin' is the most super religious concept I think that the Catholics could come up with, it is sooooo damning that you are born into or as actual sin the moment your arrive here! Sin is the best money and power-grabbing concept ever invented.

There is no sin. Nothing to feel guilty about (except maybe missing a chance to perform a kindness but, even then, not lingering in a feeling of guilt) or atone for. We are who we are and, if of good intention and respect, then there's nothing more we must do.

Another human idea.

Ethics and morality have been studied for ever and many of the people who have an interest in these areas are non theists. It is because we are human centered and want the best life for ourselves and others. Sin is nonsense of course. This is an excellent answer to ethics without a god concept.

Sin, was originally a term used in archery. It simply meant you missed the target. Over time the meaning went via slang making changes in semantics, expanding the meaning into something totally different, so that for some kinds of sins you could get put to death.

Without religion, sin is not living up to your best expectations for yourself. Everyone has a code of behavior for themselves whether or not religion is a part of a person's life. We all know what is good or bad behavior and hold ourselves up to a standard. Without religion, sin would be to not meet our own best expectations for our behavior. I think as we learn and grow, when it comes to our expectations of ourselves we should be raising the bar and strive to be a better person.

It is not about sin but morality. Anything that is harmful to our species or other species is wrong. We cannot avoid this as we must live but there are degrees. Sometimes things that seem good can be immoral. Sometimes doing things to help others can be immoral (if it is enabling it is wrong). For example, giving food can be immoral! Simply giving food can lead to dependency, low self-esteem and more food needy people being born. If we do something and make the problem worse (like what is going on in Africa right now) it is immoral (the proverbial road to hell paved with good intentions). I know this idea will generate a lot of anger and bad feelings but remember: there are no gods to take care of us, nature doesn't care about us (or any other species), this planet has finite resources and unless we make huge changes in our perceptions more will suffer and, in the end we can go extinct (we are taking many other species out right now to the extent this is being known as age of the 6th great extinction).

Right on.

We have to limit our numbers. There are only so many rats you can put in a cage, even if they had access to food.

Sin is just a religious term for acting in a manner contrary to a moral code of behavior. Religion is not required to establish a moral code of behavior.

I think about that a lot. I don't use the word sin in any context other than talking about religion. And I reject the idea that all activities are inherently good or bad. It all depends on the situation and context. So I argue that sin doesn't, and wouldn't, exist without religion.

I think the closest secular equivalent for the word 'sin' is 'illegal'.

Very good. I would posit "unethical", in a secular sense, could be used in place of "sin".

Sin is a fiction used to sell you the notion that you're a bad person so you can buy your salvation, usually at the cost of your eternal soul and total submission to some invisible being with an all to human spokesman. It's a method of control, nothing more. The only real sin is to harm another without cause. The greatest virtue is to help another without expectation of reward.

Sin is a construct of religion, so without religion, there is no sin. That being said right and wrong are what we hold to be part of the social contract, whereby society looks after the individual in return for the individual doing the right thing by society.

Mankind has always created their own social norms and taboos and accepted behaviors whether religion is part of that or not. Society knows for the most part, what is right and what is wrong in general ways, without input from patriarchal religious demands. It was recently discovered that even dogs can determine what is "fair" or "unfair" behavior.

Sin still exists, it's just a semantic game as to what you want to call it. We all know and take for granted that there are things we ought not do -- murder being an obvious example. If calling that 'sin' ties it to religion, which as atheists offends us, call it something, anything, else. It's just as wrong. Let's not get hung up on the label and nomenclature. Murder won't send you to hell, just jail.

Gary Level 4 Nov 7, 2017

Fun........

This notion of sin, the sin nature and of being born with sin is highly debatable among Believers in their fractured and various sects of Christianity. In light of this, your question becomes rhetorical. I do not believe sin exists; nor, is sin attached to a Diety. What do I know? I do know this: good and bad human beings exist. I believe religion has caused otherwise "good" people to do "bad" things in the name of their loving God.

True sin is the lack of empathy.....??

The word means "to miss the mark"

Without religion it would be whatever you do that violates your moral compass.

Probably also the compass of the majority? Like we all know certain things are wrong..

Sin is anything that goes against your Morale fiberit was a big ego tripa god thats lo es me would not put conditons on my behavior if Im a good voy i goto haven if Im a bad voy i goto hell total ego trip

"Sin" basically translates to "an act against God" as I understand it. So without religion, sin has no meaning.

BUT...

Human beings evolved with a natural sense of right and wrong. That is nourished / polished by parents and caregivers. AFAH people (Atheists, Freethinkkers, Agnostics and Humanists) in general have the same innate moral compass that any religious person does. Maybe better, since we don't judge people based on their degree of religiosity.

There are numerous primate studies (and beyond, animal) that demonstrate how moral behavior is conducive to life, isn't exclusive to humans, and is a dimension in its own right, exclusive of religion.

Deep

Tory Level 3 Oct 19, 2020

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." -Hamlet Act 2, Scene 2

Sin doesn't mean anything outside of something religious

Fun and games 🙂

i don't have a concept of sin. i have a concept of law, and of ethics, and sometimes those are at odds, but sin is something someone tells you an imaginary god doesn't want you to do, and i don't hold any of those either.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3039
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.