Agnostic.com

17 0

QUESTION Duggar daughter’s in-laws promote Christian discipline methods linked to beating deaths of 3 children

The Pearls have self-published several books, including Created to Be His Help-Meet, that promote a patriarchal, conservative brand of evangelical Christianity that encourages parents to beat children as young as six months old with plastic tubes to ensure obedience.

“It’s a good spanking instrument,” Michael Pearl said. “It’s too light to cause damage to the muscle or the bone.”

Their teachings have been linked to the abuse deaths of at least three children whose adoptive parents were convicted of murder.

zblaze 7 Feb 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Warning: I'm going to swear.

I FUCKING HATE PUNITIVE PARENTING PRACTICES PROMOTED BY ASSHOLE CHRISTIANS.

The Pearls (I know them from To Train Up a Child).

Gary Ezzo's Babywise (his parent-led feeding schedules have killed and severely dehydrated and malnourished some breastfed infants).

Dr. James Dobson's Strong-Willed Child bullshit.

Nothing gets me so riled up as all the disgusting and dangerous practices by these people and their kind.

I have either read these books myself, or have read articles leading to the malnourishment and death of children from such horrific and disturbing practices.

I just had a bad memory of visiting a high school classmate ... let me see ... back in 1977. She gave severe punishment to her children. She had a 3 year old whom she whipped on the bare butt with a belt. She took down the diaper of her baby and hit the baby's bare bottom several times for "crying too much." She told me "When they are three months old they start having tantrums and you must begin using physical punishment. If you do not put fear into them, they will never learn obedience." I felt sick. I never visited her again. According to her christmas letters, her son and daughters are doing fine ... but you never know .....

SKH78 Level 8 Mar 31, 2018

Wow!

Trap, Neuter, and DO NOT Release the whole family.

There are some people who are strong enough to leave this cult. I have the highest respect for them. People who leave cultish/fundamentalist groups usually get ostracized by family and friends who are still in those groups. They are like orphans. They have to start from scratch, finding decent people to be with.

SKH78 Level 8 Mar 10, 2018

The Duggar family and all fanatic xtians are disgusting. They reproduce like rats and mice etc. All in the name of increasing the religious conservative base. Too bad they're not conservative in the frequency of their f**king.

Spay/neuter the Duggars. Quickly!

Dirty rotten bunch those Duggars and their "friends"

The Duggars are crazy-ass people. I used to watch their TLC show, just out of weird fascination.

If I ever see someone hit a 6 month old child with anything I will lose my shit!

WTF is wrong with people.

Very glad to read that you would lose your shit. I have lost my shit often when I see and hear cruelty to kids. I make a scene and I don't care! ????

Are people finally waking up to the fact that corporal punishment or whooping ones child is ASSAULT? Hello Mom!!?

I am no fan of Laura Schlessinger (sp?) but I will give her credit for confronting a couple in a restaurant - 8 year old girl begged to sit by her mother. Father barked out NO and pointed to chair beside him. He slapped the girl hard on the face. LS confronted the abuser and also scolded the mother for not intervening. The restaurant manager came over and ordered the couple to leave.

I watched this show until I figured out they were batsh$t crazy religious people.

I'm always curious how relgions function - in this case it's "BADLY".

so you watched it for what? 3... 4 seconds?

@MegynInTC Sadly no... much longer.

I kept thinking "It's my atheist self isn't it? I should be more forgiving shouldn't I?".

And then she kept having baby after baby and I was like "This is abusive? Not different. Abusive".

That's called the quiverfull movement. What is scary is adoption is promoted, not for a child's welfare but to develop more bodies for the cause. Several of the stories from these "adopted" kids are horrifying. The same reason many become foster parents, more bodies for the cause.

Vickie Garrison is online "No Longer Quivering". She got up the courage to leave the Quiverfull movement. Her story is amazing. There are people who can overcome brainwashing and find the courage to change their lives.

@SusanHilde Quiver as a noun not a verb I assume.

@Countrywoman As in quiverful of arrows, "Militants for Christ," but in the nicest way possible and always deferring to the closest male.

This -IS- the ignorance and hypocrisy of the Evangelical right though, isn't it? These breeders are only part of it. Look at the Wasilla Punch-board Bristol Palin. Gets paid deep green to pontificate throughout the US about 'abstinence' but has never met a hard dick she didn't spread for. Those phony Xtians though will line up and listen to her babble as she scans the audience for a stud that her handlers will give her number to. 'WHO'S YO DADDY' she says to her newborns as they pop out. Aww shit...better call that DNA place again. Give them my Frequent Fucker discount card, would ya?

LMAAO

The science is that spanking is not an effective parenting tool. I understand a freaked-out parent spanking a kid when a kid runs into the street but hitting a 6-month-old with a plastic tube, is abusive. I hope the Pearls get sued at least.

True! I never hit my eldest till he was 25. Lol!! He got just a bit too smug and insulting. I stood up slapped his face and pulled his hair. Lol! He was stunned. I hated doing that but he can be ornery.

The Duggars are part of the Quiverfull movement, that favors having large numbers of children, the better to eventually win the public policy / culture wars via sheer numbers.

The Quiverfull movement in turn owes a lot of its ideological underpinnings to Bill Gaither, who in his more moderate youth, was popular in general evangelical circles. When I was in Bible Institute in the mid 1970s he was giving gigantic seminars attended by thousands of local Christians, which he called The Institute in Basic Youth Conflicts. Eventually his "ministry" succumbed to a sex scandal wherein he was found to be coming on to starry-eyed young girls and women who were participating in his organization or in local events like I describe above. He went underground for awhile and re-emerged in the fundamentalist fringe, as he was radioactive to the more mainstream fundamentalists -- hence the Quiverfull movement. He provides a lot of their rationalizations for strict family and church discipline, including corporeal punishment, and a version of the now-discredited Shepherding Movement ideology, where each believer is supposed to be "accountable" or "submitted to" a pastor or elder or teacher within their church. This means you confess all your sins, peccadilloes and "impure thoughts" to some asshole who then "holds you accountable" to redouble your Bible Study, prayer, etc. Also who tends to hold your wife "accountable" to properly service you and submit to you and so forth.

It's really a grody, nasty corner of fundamentalism and just what you'd expect of someone with a history of exploiting vulnerable people for his own gratification and/or aggrandizement.

Yep, those Quiver people are scary and disgusting. It is really sad that not very many have the smarts and the courage to leave the Quivers. The brainwashing is bad.

6 months old????? What the actual fuck is wrong with people?

The Duggar spawn are victims of cultish brainwashing........all of them except the incestuous, pedophile son, anyway.....'way to break those chains, asshat!

They should be locked up.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30396
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.