Agnostic.com

6 1

ANYBODY SPEAK NURDISH?

When I was young the layman could capture pretty much the technology at hand.
Some sixty years later, I have fallen hopelessly behind.
(my toombstone will read:
"Still trying to figure out how to program my I-Phone."

I have a question for those who speak Nurdish:
When I receive note of a call, while out of range, before I see it, where, exactly in space and time it is actually "stored'"

soquel 6 Feb 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Do you mean, 'nerdish?' 😉

Carriers retain recordings and the associated metadata. In a very real sense, it is not 'on your phone.' Except when powered off or out of range (of any cell tower), your carrier is in continuous contact with your device, even when you are not using it. Via the cellular network, your carrier constantly updates (or syncs) with your device, and when you 'roam' away from a cellular network, signal degredation is often a gradual process, during which time you may receive text messages, but the bandwidth needed to support a phone call (or voicemail) may not exist. Does this make sense?

Yes, you are totally right that it takes far less bandwidth to send a text vs. making a call which is a good thing to keep in mind in an emergency.

I'd clarify that roaming means you're in range of a cellular network, just not the one your provider uses. When you are not in range of any cellular network you are out of range. Also your phone can do most, if not all (depends on your provider), the things you can do on a cellular network over a WiFi network.

@shockwaverider Agreed, and beautifully clarified. Thank you.

It's stored on a server managed by your cellular provider (AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint). Most other US, "providers", are Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs) that buy bulk minutes from the actual providers that have physical network infrastructure.

That server could be at the provider's data center or stored on, "the cloud", which is just a server hosted by a 3rd party (AWS = Amazon Web Services, Azure = Microsoft's version of AWS, and many others) that the provider leases server and storage capacity from.

They usually have a formula, deliver now if possible, if not try again in 5, 20,60 minutes etc, But it does depend on traffic.

I am a software architect and have been in the field for quite some time... I had to ask a friends kid why my iphone won't rotate because I could not see the lock on the pull up menu.

do not feel bad.

Missed call notifications come from a completely automated web based application that sends you an email message when the user doesn't answer an incoming call and the caller doesn’t leave a voice mail message.

Sorry but this isn't true even though you have the right idea.

Satellite transmissions travel at or close to the speed of light. I don't think it's anywhere in time or space for long. I would imagine it's software from your carrier that stores the message and delivers it when you're in range.

Cellular networks don't use satellite communication at all. See the answers from me, @silvereyes, and @pnullifidian. Don't feel bad, most people have no idea how this stuff really works.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30574
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.