Agnostic.com

4 1

I wonder… is it possible that "Consciousness" is simply a brain disease?

Benthoven 8 Nov 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am unqualified to make an intelligent argument whether consciousness is simply or is not a brain disease. There is nothing simple about the question.
I consider that conscious beings, with enough consciousness about them to identify with oneanother, become unconscious masses, led by the nose, to perform as minions in actions of hate towards other(s), against nature and environment. One might argue that it is all within their nature to be so? However, with full consciousness, shouldn't we should work together for better future(s). There again, you and I may never agree what or which is a better future.
We may agree that consciousness is a multilayered (multi)function of the brain (perhaps causing or with some sick behaviour!?).

The question is kind of pointless, as no matter what the answer is, it makes no difference. People would not live their lives any differently.

It may have started out that way, but it has obviously had evolutionary advantages for those that possessed it, so it has become the default condition.

If it helps an organization to function and cope with its environment, how could it be called a disease?

How does it help? We're tribal, bigoted, fear-based, still living in our reptilian brains. We've taken our species to the brink of destruction in several ways. We attack those who are different, and govern ourselves in such a way that most suffer for the few at the top. We create ideologies and then attack those who have not adopted our viewpoint. On top of all that, we live with the knowledge of the complete pointlessness of life and the fact that no matter what we do, it will all come to naught.

I would say that we're not "coping" at all. We're still just animals, only we know it... thanks to consciousness. Isn't that how diseases work?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3068
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.