Agnostic.com

10 8

WTF!!!????

If someone is NOT here for dating, and only for community, why should they have their picture as their avatar, if they choose not to? There are a number of us who have chosen not to use our pictures, and have chosen another symbol instead. There are still some here who have chosen to use the default avatars. What's the big hairy deal??? If someone is here for dating, it is reasonable to expect that they would post their pic. If they are not, no one should be expecting them to.

On more than one occasion, I have had to defend myself against personal insults for choosing not have a picture. Currently, my "self-esteem" has been attacked because I don't have a picture posted.
Not having my picture posted has NOTHING to do with my self-esteem, or any other thing I feel about myself. People need to stop assuming they know anything about anyone else, unless they've asked a specific question, and gotten a specific answer.
Just because I may not agree with you on any particular topic, don't think it's okay to attack me personally, and to use the fact that I've chosen not to post my face, as some sort of "argument" to assert that my position is not valid. Learn to fucking argue correctly and stick to the topic.
Okay, rant over. Enjoy your day.

KKGator 9 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

wow, that was great! bestest rant here ever! & exactly my main peeve when it comes to communicating in general.

so many people just don't understand the difference between acknowledging different viewpoints & trying to devalue the other's viewpoint by attacking the person. ... which was the one & only time so far that i blocked someone here.

Thank you, but I wish I hadn't felt it was necessary to have written it. I love this site, and enjoy the people on it.

@KKGator, i understand, & living in an ideal world would be a beautiful thing. as it is, i am mighty glad for people like you here. ... & not too few 🙂

@walklightly Righbackatcha!!!!!

I had always used avatars for a host of reasons, mostly safety and since I was not seeking dates. I sympathize with you having experienced the very ugly harrassment that many feel free to dump on those who would rather not have their face all over the internet.

The dumb part was that here, if one clicked on my profile, there were photos of me there.

I have since decided that this being a closed group, I could try with pict and see how it goes... So far ok.

Zster Level 8 Mar 1, 2018

People's reaction to this has made me more adamant not to put my face up there.So far I have posted photos I have taken of things I enjoy. THat tells people more about me than my face. Oh and I think your avatar is pretty self descriptive from what I can tell KKGator

Precisely!!

I'm apparently very naive, haha. I joined a day or so ago and I just automatically assumed everyone used their pictures for their avatars. I'm here strictly for the community, to meet and connect with others like myself. It's amazing the things people will pick at to make themselves feel superior in an argument. :/

Ain't it though?
And, Welcome to the asylum! Enjoy your stay.

By the way, Alice. Since I am the White Rabbit ...

You're late. 😉

This is a THING?
Boy, miss two days and you miss a lot.
I am curious as to what we ALL look like, but I don't think it would come to insults.
Besides you are in Georgia, so you have bigger problems. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

LOL Thanks!!!!

LOL!

Yea, but what do you really think? 😉

I just ignore them. It's my profile, so I'll have any damn picture I want on it. Not saying you should just ignore them too, of course!

PS: I love the "fuck this shit" Alice one 🙂

Jnei Level 8 Mar 1, 2018

Totally agree. If you're not here for dating, it surely doesn't matter. It would be cool to see your face though. 😉

You just be you Alice...lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30731
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.