Agnostic.com

8 0

Golden Rule

All religions seem to have the Golden Rule in common. Do we need anything more?

mary25y 5 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I find that the Golden Rule.... and judge not.... are the most rational thoughts in the Bible. The rest is propaganda and control.

And what is this golden rule?

The Golden Rule states: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

The Silver Rule for those of us that aren't quite that nice.

It took no genius to identify this fundamental way of life relating to life. Animals demonstrate it routinely and they don't read ancient writings nor do they depend on someone pointing the principle out to them. It is written/programmed into their instinct. We, being more developed are even more so without the damage caused by acculturation.

Karen Armstrong in her good book on the 4 major religions showed that this was the final and common conclusion of them all,depsite their independent origins,they all came down to this same rule in some form.(Judaism/Ancient Greek Rationalism/Bhuddism/Confucionism)

[amazon.com]

Even Jesus is portayed, when pushed into a corner,as advocating it as the second most important Commandment,he didn't invent it of course having learnt it from OT scripture.

Matthew 22;34

" Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[c] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[d] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

I might add this is in fact a gnostic version of Jesus teaching and not a Christian one.Though don't tell any Christians.

That usually works out to "the guy who's got the gold makes the rules..."

I have found that living by this rule has worked well throughothroughout my life

I think that is an all encompassing rule. So, no I don't think more is needed. Though, I think some will need clarification as always.

SamL Level 7 Mar 1, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30790
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.