Agnostic.com

10 0

How do you respond to cashiers saying "have a blessed day"?

Here in the bible belt, when checking out at any store, one is likely to be given a parting salutation, by the cashier, of "have a blessed day".

How do, or would, you respond to such unashamed, and unthinking, religious lingo?

By OldHippieAtHeart6
Actions Follow Post Like

Post a comment Add Source Add Photo

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Say “I didn’t sneeze”

i don't respond. i am never going to see that person again. i don't care what they believe. i don't care what they assume i believe. it bites a little but it doesn't ruin my life.

g

genessa Level 8 July 15, 2019

"Inshallah"

I would not say anything. They mean well. It isn't the same as when they say "Well, Bless your heart" to try ot end a conversation, which is the Bible Belt version of "Go fuck yourself".

snytiger6 Level 9 Mar 11, 2019

Absolutely silence and go about my business. Not in a rude way -- just politely walk away. I think for most people it's a habit and they really don't care how or whether it is received.

When Costco first opened in New Orleans the door receipt checkers were incessant about it. I wrote Costco a letter nicely stating essentially that I don't go to Costco for church and would rather not hear religious sentiments every time I leave the store. I kid you not, it stopped.

BlueWave Level 8 Mar 11, 2019

"I've got other plans, thanks."

I always sAT "tHANK YOU."

The same way as I do to "have a nice/good day", with a "thank you" or "you too".

Zster Level 8 Mar 11, 2019

I just assume they go to church a lot, and reply with "you too!".

davknight Level 7 Mar 11, 2019

So annoying! As if they have some secret power to bless you lol ! I would just say um ok thanks?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text 'q:308291'.
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer.
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others!