Agnostic.com

5 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Elon Musk, with all his personal faults, is a true visionary working for a better world (and another). He really announced this five years ago:

All Our Patent Are Belong To You
Elon Musk, CEO June 12, 2014
Yesterday, there was a wall of Tesla patents in the lobby of our Palo Alto headquarters. That is no longer the case. They have been removed, in the spirit of the open source movement, for the advancement of electric vehicle technology.

Tesla Motors was created to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport. If we clear a path to the creation of compelling electric vehicles, but then lay intellectual property landmines behind us to inhibit others, we are acting in a manner contrary to that goal. Tesla will not initiate patent lawsuits against anyone who, in good faith, wants to use our technology.

Source:

That was a gutsy move.

In the light of both questionable financial position and direction Mr. Musk has made his statement clear as to his priorities and integrity.

I'd hope to have the same level of commitment to a cause as that. That's just an extreme version of "Putting your money where your mouth is."

Some billionaires are socially conscious.

I think this is a good thing, more competition will inspire advancement in the market.

Electric cars are nice and giving away patents is a super nice move. Now if we can stop burning all that coal to get electricity, that would be nice as well.

Many coal plants have been converted to natural gas.

@GeorgeRocheleau That’s a good start.

He has said it's better to be burning coal instead of all that gasoline. Getting rid of coal-burning power plants or even just capturing and sequestering the CO2 they emit is a lot more feasible than dealing with so many petroleum fueled vehicles.

How?

@F-IM-Forty Actually, CO2 can and has been captured and sequestered from power plants burning fossil fuels. Capture and sequestration needs to be done on a huge scale just from the atmosphere in general, not just point sources, as part of the solution to reversing climate change. There are a number of approaches, but I don't think any of them have really caught on and been put into widespread use. What I favor are mineralization approaches, i.e. carbonates.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:309189
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.