Agnostic.com

10 7

What in your opinion is the craziest ungodly Bible Quote

Jesus wakes up hungry and cranky:

Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered. Matthew 21:18-22 NIV

Don't piss off Lorena Bobbit: (Google if you're too young to get the reference.)

No one whose testicles are crushed or whose penis is cut off shall be admitted to the assembly of the LORD. Deuteronomy 23:1 NRSV

The Joy of killing babies!

“Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones.” Psalm 137:9 (Try and put that in a context that makes it moral.)

Are you really going to make me compete with guys as big as a donkey? Really God?

Yet she increased her prostitution, remembering the days of her youth when she engaged in prostitution in the land of Egypt. She lusted after their genitals as large as those of donkeys, and their seminal emission was as strong as that of stallions. Ezekial 23:19-20

paul1967 8 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was raised Lutheran with KJV of Bible. I found it hard to read, so I daydreamed a lot in Sunday School. At night in my room as a child I waited and waited for Jesus to appear atop the radiator, because I believed it was possible, per Bible stories. He never showed. I don't remember being disappointed; perhaps only rather unworthy. When did my insanity begin? My parents had me baptised as an infant. Was it the cold water on my bald head? I have been tempted lately to pick up a Bible at a thrift store...but what version? Do I want a collection? Where would I start reading, in order to "know" the Bible well enough to debate a Jehovas Witness, or any other believer. A couple young Mormon men came to my house a couple years ago. The window was open in my study. I saw them coming. I spoke to them through the screen. I was highly medicated with the cannibas candy. I don't remember the conversation, but they never came back...even though I encouraged them to, when I had time, so we could sit and talk some more.

Rather than purchase a bible, you might find websites like [skepticsannotatedbible.com] handy. I love this one because it points out and highlights absurdities and inconsistencies with notes, and you can search based on loads of problems with the texts.

On the other hand, [biblegateway.com] lets you read from and search through dozens of different translations so comparisons based on how different translations affect what you read and glean from the verses can be compared.

The best part is that they take up no room on your bookshelf, leaving room for books with real substance.

This is a good one....

After givign up on religion, I really didn't bother to focus much on what I left behind, so ican't really think of any offhand, an dhave no desire to read up to find een.

The Old Testament stuff. Some of it freaks me out: if an engaged women is raped in the country she the rapist gets put to death. If it happens in the city, someone should have heard her scream. so she and the rapist is put to death. Of course, If she is a virgin, the rapist pays her father money and she has to marry her rapist.

Deuteronomy 22:23-24

“If there is a girl who is a virgin engaged to a man, and another man finds her in the city and lies with her, then you shall bring them both out to the gate of that city and you shall stone them to death; the girl, because she did not cry out in the city, and the man, because he has violated his neighbor’s wife. Thus you shall purge the evil from among you.”

Deuteronomy 22:25-27

“But if in the field the man finds the girl who is engaged, and the man forces her and lies with her, then only the man who lies with her shall die. But you shall do nothing to the girl; there is no sin in the girl worthy of death, for just as a man rises against his neighbor and murders him, so is this case. When he found her in the field, the engaged girl cried out, but there was no one to save her.”

Deuteronomy 22:28-29

“If a man finds a girl who is a virgin, who is not engaged, and seizes her and lies with her and they are discovered, then the man who lay with her shall give to the girl’s father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall become his wife because he has violated her; he cannot divorce her all his days.”

Well done!

Dunno.

I've never read it.

And it's unlikely I ever will.

The entire book is stuffed with sex and violence. It's based on the Sumerian texts, so no wonder..the Sumerians were a blood-thirsty, promiscous bunch, for sure.

Perhaps. They were also more literate, sophisticated and productive than their imitators. I would have to wonder as to your analysis of Sumerian behavior, As compared to whom?

@CapriKious For sure, but the Sumerians had sex with sisters and relatives, having kids between siblings, made their genetically engineered human slaves do blood sacrifices, killed them on a whim, like when they knew a third of the earth was going to flood when an ice shelf broke off, so Anu told his bunch to withdraw into space on their crafts, and let the humans drown. Just like the Hebrew God did, they didn't mind wiping out entire populations on a whim.

@birdingnut mmmkay, I did not realize I was dealing with an omniscient historian of alien lore. I withdrawn all future commentary. *YIKES!

It would seem that forgiveness and responsibility are unworthy of a god.
If I held a gun to your head and told you it will be your fault if I chose to shoot you.
That sounds very godly to me, from what I have heard.

Ezekiel 23 is indeed one of the more bizarre chapters in the Bible. It's a fantasy of mine to hear it read in church ... but then I suppose I'd have to attend. And don't forget the 21st verse:

"So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled."

That is some crazy stuff to put in the Bible. I can just imagine if I said out loud, Yeah, she likes giving blowjobs while he patted her butt and squeezed her breast right in the middle of a church. The shock and looks I would get. I would need to reply, what? I'm just quoting Ezekiel 23:21

Numbers 5:15-22, instructions for the priests to perform a test for a woman accused of adultery.

Deuteronomy 21: 10-14, statutes for the kidnapping and rape of young female POWs.

Deuteronomy 13:6-11, apostates must be killed.

Exodus 21:20-21, slaves can be beaten without consequence, as long as they get up for work the next day.

Leviticus 25:45, it's acceptable to purchase children as slaves.

I can not compete with that list! That's an excellent list.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31008
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.