Agnostic.com

23 4

When are you most likely to lose your patience with someone?

We all lose our cool at one time or another, and some of us may lose it more often than others. When you run out of patience with someone, what is usually the reason?

• 20 votes
  • 10 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 5 votes
orange_girl 8 Mar 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

only when someone diverges from discussing a topic to attacking me personally do i react, usually in ending the conversation - if pointing out the error doesn't result in immediate rectification.

When I am trying to explain my position, and the person that I am speaking with,, keeps raising their voice and speaking over me. If I am talking to them on the phone, i get tired of the b.s. and hang up, if it's face to face, I'll walk away.....I am to old to get into pissing matches with people

Usually when I have to continue explaining a point to someone because they still don't understand it. Boy, I would hate being a teacher.

It's my coworkers who are adamant trump supporters. Every time I try to bring up the abundant evidence to contradict someone they're saying, or a logical argument, they just interrupt me. I wait till they finish, try again and they just interrupt me louder. Usually with "WELL OBAMA" or "WELL HILLARY"

Every time I say I'm done with them yet they keep bringing up politics. It's frustrating because I wish they could see beyond the wall they've constructed for themselves (and no doubt made mexico pay for)

just laugh. let them know that you're keeping your expectations of them very very low, and how they've been meeting them perfectly.

The weird thing is we get along okay when the topic isn't politics or religion, so we don't hate each other. In fact I think it makes it weirder. It's like "how can these people who are generally nice and supportive on a personal level be so inclined to these hateful and hurtful beliefs, and why"

@orange_girl I imagine so. There's a great deal of smugness and pride in wanting to ruin the country, as long as liberals get hurt too

@Ersomething I know exactly what you are saying @ersomething. Three of my work friends are all practicing Catholics and at least one is extremely right wing. I sincerely like all three of them. I find myself perplexed at how smart and fun people can be delusional about something so big.

After I've been patient with the same nonsense for too long.

I may or may not have went full psychotic rage on a few people this morning over the most recent shooting in Michigan "this wouldn't happen if God was allowed in schools!" Oh yeah barbara tell that to like 95% of the entire history of the human race

I do not suffer fools easily or gladly so it is not the topic being discussed that frustrates me but the level of intelligence of the person I'm talking to. If someone is ignorant on a subject then I will be happy to educate them but if they are just stupid and have their opinion but do nothing more than parrot others without understanding, then I lose my patience.

Uhhhh ... August?

Never attribute to malice or vendetta that attributeable to stupidity. Remember Professor Cippolla's laws of Human Stupidity. 🙂

Mostly my mother.

Is she deaf, OCPD or just stupid?

@FrayedBear hmmm, arrogant, condescending, sly, manipulative, she is inciting a mutiny in the aged care home. She is so good at it. She pulls this butter wouldn't melt in her mouth thing. Stupid - yes, dumb- yes, but sooooo sly.

@orange_girl my mother is 80 in July, she doesn't repeat herself in the same phone call, but tells me things that she had already told me last call. I am ok with that. My mother alternates between saying what a wonderful mother she was to pointing out the horrible things parents can do to kids. ie the same things that were done to me just to rub it in.I just hope I was adopted.

@Rugglesby needs a job to keep her busy. Toilet cleaner is therapeutic!

@Rugglesby A bit late to be told now! Get nail and hair clippings before she dies. No good trying to do it with ashes.

About the only time I really 'lose' my patience to any extent would have to be with my Evangelist neighbour and his interminable attempts at preaching to me, telling me that without God/Jesus my life is meaningless, etc, and all the other religious drivel he spouts seemingly endlessly.
Other than that I'm a fairly cool, calm and easy-going person.

I find I lose patience with strangers over a blatantly stupid situation. A handyman was working on my neighbors storm door at the apartment complex and he set up his work bench blocking the walk way. I was able to scoot around it figuring he won't be THAT long. Well 2 hours later I'm back and the bench is still there but he isn't. I moved the bench and went to my apartment. I had lunch, internet time,etc and go out. When I return he's BACK and has put the bench BACK blocking the walkway. I nicely said, 'Sir?" 3 times I did this louder each time thinking he might have a hearing problem, but no he is just ignoring me and I lost it and yell, "WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WICHEW (that is New Jersey for with you)? You can't block walkways and sidewalks." He said he's just trying to get this job done and you liberals are all alike. I shit you not. I told him "I am a registered republican, who chose not to get on the short bus to crazy town and I know for sure and for certain Had I been a man he would have NEVER said that to me." what a jerk. Then I tried not to let my getting pissy ruin the rest of the day. 🙂

@orange_girl I say fuck all the time way too much but I just get so angry.

@orange_girl It does take alot to get me to explode like that but in this 55 and older complex there are many disabled and blocking the walkway can get someone injured . I was able to go around but someone with a walker or scooter might have been really hurt.

stupidity can be an aggravation, but I can accept that some folks just ain't too sharp. however, when that stupidity get stacked on top of inconsiderate behavior I tend to give out my free advice.

At my office we have a lunch room. The kitchen prep/microwave area is separated from the seating area with a wall and open doorway. Even when in the kitchen area, one can hear everything being said in the seating area.

On Tuesday, I was in the kitchen getting my lunch together and I heard the usuals gossiping about some Housewives show. I didn't take much of it in until somebody said "...yeah, I don't know - it's LGB, then T and I don't know, I guess the Q is for when they don't know or forgot." Laughter all around.

Needless to say, I lost my patience. I rounded the corner and said as patiently yet matter-of-factly "No, the Q is for queer - they know what it means." (Yes, I know it's also for questioning, but I didn't want to overwhelm them.)

I find -- in MY world -- that it's those without formal education that are sooooo backwards and uninformed and ignorant. The attorneys I work with would never say stupid shit like that. It's those kinds of moronic comments that make me lose my noodles.

I went to lunch and calmed down, but it's like a lifelong virus for the masses here.

That would set me off too.

Frequently I'll become emotional and hot-headed discussing controversial political topics. And I get aggravated when someone becomes intellectually dishonest.

My family are Christians who believe I'm going to Hell because I "turned my back on god". I loose patience when they do things like thank Jesus for a green light or a good parking spot. My pet peeve is when someone works diligently to accomplish a feat but then all glory is ripped from that person and thrown towards god.

I don't talk politics with my red-necked family and I am retired. I am reclusive to I don't talk to strangers. But I do have to drive and I see so many idiots out there I know why I don't do the other things on the list.

When I am tired.

Apart from that I am pretty tolerant. I can get frustrated with some people who keep doing the same thing and expect a different result though!

Definitely easier with family. I think because of laziness. I know that forgiveness is easier from family.

I lose it cause they Just don't think..and it's usually with my elder brother..he's devolved into a gun and Drumpf make America great again fanatic.

I never lose my patience, I spent 12 years as a driving instructor, until 3 days before the birth of my daughter, losing patience would have been counter productive.
I have however been known to roll my eyes haha

Kitz Level 4 Mar 7, 2018

When people tell me to turn down the music so they can hear the T.V. Fuck T.V. Totaly apropriate.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31063
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.