Agnostic.com

28 3

Does beleif in god justify how much should people be allowed to spend on end of life care?

The stats are all over the place, as to how many people are cured of cancer, meaning they live more than 5 years without detectable disease. But for many cancers, the outlook is likely death. A recent study says half of cancer patients spend their life savings within two years of diagnosis. We don't know the numbers of people with likely fatal diagnoses and very hard to treat cancers, or the quality of life they have during those last two years, but is it fair to their families when inherited wealth is shown to be the only reliable way for people to maintain or increase their social status? Why do people do this to their families? I think religion has something to do to this. Also it's not a coincidence that most cancer treatment centers are run by religious groups.

Here are some stats about cancer and also a link to an article about the recent study (including a link to the original study)

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

[dailymail.co.uk]

MarkiusMahamius 7 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Half of all people in the US spend half their life savings within two years... Other countries like the UK, Canada, Japan, and others don't have to file for bankruptcy because their health care systems are not run by Wall Street death panels. Conservatives scream endlessly about single payer health care saying it will create death panels that will deny them care if they get sick but the reality is a non-profit system has no need for a death panel because it incentivises saving lives while for profit systems incentivise letting people die to save money... A death panel is a bunch of Wall Street bankers sitting around a huge polished boardroom table saying "fuck these guys it will cost too much to save their lives and I won't get a huge enough bonus at the end of the year on top of the 50 million dollar paycheck I already get for running this country..." After all why save lives when you can buy a private jet or another vacation mansion with that money.... Religion incentivises frauds claiming to be faith healers scamming the gullible out of their savings to have the cancer wished away....

"Inherited wealth is shown to be the only reliable way for people to maintain or increase their social status" !! Yikes that is really cruel and selfish. My daughter is going through cancer for the 4th time. I want her to be in my life for as long as she can live and wants to live - actually perhaps outliving me. No amount of money can ever replace her in my life and if my social status cannot be maintained or increased why would I care about that over her being.
I honestly hope you are not saying that someone should not do everything within their power to stay alive, if that is what they want just because you should get what is left of their money before they go doing something silly like spending it on what they want.

I think people should be able to live, and die, according to their beliefs.

Carin Level 8 Aug 12, 2019
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:311833
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.