Agnostic.com

39 10

My religious/gullible mother blames me for my ailments. Advice?

My mother is the one who forced religion on me as a kid, and I do resent her for that. What bothers me the most is that I can tell she is just a highly gullible person when it comes to the supernatural and all these claims that people make. She once told me - a severe asthmatic- that I wouldn't need my asthma medication if I just read The Secret and applied that to my life. It sounded like a joke but she was serious, and it sickened me. I was insulted that she would blame ME for the fact that I have asthma, as she has said several times that any time I have health problems it's because I attract negative energy. She also blamed my epilepsy on this. I just can't imagine telling my own child not to take life-saving medicine and instead just "ask the universe" for good health. Sometimes I wonder if I should even attempt to challenge her beliefs because I know she wants to believe these things so badly that she will get angry if I cause her to see them skeptically. I just can't stand to see my own mother living her life like this, and I can't face the fact that an adult with more life experience - whom I am supposed to look up to- has no ability to think critically. I see her relationships fail over and over, I see her becoming more and more overweight despite her many attempts to lose weight..and I feel like a lot of that is due to relying on supernatural methods for bettering herself. Does anyone has any advice for coping with family members/loved ones who do this? please share. Thanks.

TaliaElizabeth92 5 Nov 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments (26 - 39)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Someones you just have to accept that parents aren't perfect because nothing you do will change her. She has to come to that point on her own. I know it's hard, but you really can't take responsibility for your parent's beliefs. Just do your own thing because the more you try to change her, the more stubborn she will become.

Toughy. She is “into this”. Just live your life and maybe her pride of your success will help lead her.

mzee Level 7 Nov 8, 2017

My main concern is that she will neglect taking care of herself and rely on faith in a god or the universe to fix everything for her.

Sounds like she's really into "The New Age". I'm fortunate that my religious parents never told me that illness could be cured by belief or "whatever" instead of medicine. That would drive me nuts. I wish I had some words of wisdom but often people into this are really "Into This". Perhaps say "But Mom how about the science that says I need medications for these things?". I wish you good luck. Not an easy situation.

I will try to bring up these points next time. Thanks!

It was a little hard to read due to the fact of empathy, knowing what i had dealt with. I also looked at your profile, and even saw another post you made. Your not only dealing with it yourself but your also concerned about the effect its having on your son. The deal with religion, it started on me at a young age. Everybody has their story, I do also. Father died when I was 5 and I was sent to southern baptist school not for the sake of religion as funny as it may seem, but it was because my aunt wasnt really impressed with my dad's family and was worried about the influence they would have on me and spending more time with them now that my father passed away. My father was in a crash at work and was pronounced DOA at the hospital.When your a child you hear things and you don't always understand everything. Like the crash being investigated,percentage of fault which could imply careless driving. All of a sudden its just dads gone so many thoughts go through your head your not sure whats going on. The only thing thats clear is that nothing is clear and there are issues. Did i do something wrong, it messes with any idea of normality you think you had. Of course my mother was a wreck, I didnt go to the funeral, just kind of lost. All of a sudden now i'm going to a new school. This was kindergarten so you get story boards with bible stories, you got jesus and god and the devil and the holy spirit and people go to hell and have you been saved and this list of things you got to do and just on and on and on. What you feel is your in your own hell and the stuff that these people are spewing forth isnt any help and you feel powerless. Your in hell and things don't feel right you feel lost, you feel like someone should be there for me and they are not. someone should be here with some sanity, someone should be here to protect me. I got angry I had an internal anger. The issues of the fundamentalism idea of religion serve their way to twist in with the issues I already had, also did my dad go to hell, and just on and on and on and on. I see that in your instance how it doesnt need to be a particular BS that can twist a person up. I havent walked exactly in your shoes, but i know the feeling of anger and the feeling of being lost. My advice, seek some counseling, you may be able to find womens or family assistance to help with the cost if needed. I Have needed assistance a few times in help with counseling, yes secular counseling. I think the best advice I can give you is to work on finding your peace whatever it takes. I wish you love and light and if you should find youd like to contact me, Im open to it. Its been a long road working on inner peace, everything is practice but i think its worth it, and its there to be found

Please follow your own advice, "It was a little hard to read". Use paragraph breaks. Unfortunately, your response was harder to read than hers was.

@t1nick i edited it, does that clarify it for you?

@SageJester why can't you use idea or paragraph breaks. It would make it so much easier for everybody.

She needs therapy.

I can sorta relate. My Mum, too, is very gullible. She has two astrologers on her speed-dial, wears several rings, writes numbers on her body, etc.

ronak Level 5 Apr 4, 2018

The only solid advice I could give would be to get away from her if possible and forge a happy life for yourself. I know how you feel, I too have a radical catholic mother who cannot think beyond her prejudices and personal desires. When someone is this hopelessly brainwashed, there is very little anyone else could do to help that person. Through the years I've had some heated conversations with my mother over religion, and I do get sick of her barrage of attacks against atheists and skeptics. Do take care.

Research has shown that parents who smoke have a higher incidence of having asthmatic children. My mom smoked heavily and I was very asthmatic as a child. To this day I have never smoked a cigarette.

I would avoid topics that upset you. I would tell mother to respect your difference of opinion. Since this is not likely to actually work, I would just nod like I was agreeing & let her views be her own. You are unlikely to change her beliefs, so just try to find any subject you agree on and refer back to that whenever she tries to preach to you. Try to agree to disagree without prejudice. Try to be there for her when she needs you. She is an individual who believes differently than you do. You can love her for herself without dwelling on her forcefulness, or her different beliefs. I would be sure you get your vaccinations, even if it is late. Possibly her rigidness is ruining her relationships. Find her someone who has similar beliefs. She might appreciate that.

You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make them drink. Let go, enjoy what you can about her while she is here. And stop detailing your ailments to her!

She may just be closed minded but ask her if god has a plan for all of us and wants the best for us why she would still be inclined to look both ways before crossing a street...

Well, I mean, at least she isn't blaming the Devil, though. I always hated that mentality. Lol. No really, that sucks. I guess the best you can do is to live by how you see it, Live healthy and as happily as you can, and live a healthy lifestyle, and then have her compare her life to yours. She's unhealthy, unhappy in relationships, and judgmental of others during all of this, all the while she's relying on unreliable means to "become happy" that do not seem to work. All the while you'll have been relying on yourself, and your own actions, and will have beaten her at the game you never wanted to play.

Ask her, “Can asthma be damaging to one’s health?” When she says yes, ask her “Can being over-weight damage one’s health?” If she acknowleges both of those points, then ask her, “What is asthma caused from or what makes the symptoms worse?” If she doesn’t know, kindly tell her and try to come to a consensus on at least that point. Then ask her, “What causes people to get fat?” If she says acknowledges over-eating and sedentary lifestyle then ask, “How do we stop over-eating?” If she says with help from god, just say “Hey, what ever phycological phenomenon works for you to lose weight is fine with me, mom. It does, however seem your weight is increasing. Maybe you should pray more. Maybe don’t say that. But then ask, if she acknowledges what makes asthma worse( allergens and being a certain ethnicities increases our risk for asthma symptoms,) “how does one make our breathing easier from being around those allergens? If she says praying, counter with the fact that black people are the most religious and hence pray the most and also have the highest rate of asthma. She might say they aren’t praying the right way or don’t believe the right way. Say mom you might be right, but all I know is that asthma sufferers, doctors, researchers and scientists have noticed that when a medication is inhaled into the lungs it’s almost guaranteed to help every time. And I’m thankful for that. Sorry if you don’t understand, mom.

We are programmed by evolution to believe in the supernatural. True believers cannot be swayed by logic, they could convert to a different religion, but not to no religion.
Accept that and agree to disagree.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3120
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.