Agnostic.com

4 1

If I was to Launch an Atheist/Agnostic Convention, what would get you to come?

Seriously, I want to know.

I have heard we are those who choose, "None", when asked about our Religious affiliation... And our group is growing rapidly. All we hear about are how the Evangelicals have put Trump in office.

What if... we were to have a big convention and invite all the "Nones" to do a show of force to the political establishment? Do you think we could effect some rational change in America?

What do you think? Is it worth a try? What would get you to travel a few hundred miles or more to an Atheist/Agnostic/FreeThinker Convention?

Free Seminars? A Big Name Author? A Draw Mohammed Event? The chance to meet hundreds of like minded, intelligent people? Free beer? What would it take?

Alw314 5 Mar 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Seriously though, I would love to see some organization of the nones. As long as it didn't turn into some god-forsaken vehicle for politicians. If there was one in my area i would certainly try to support it, but I couldn't say that I'd be able to drive hundreds of miles to do so.
I would agree that inflammatory events like, "draw mohammed" should be avoided, or at least not sanctioned by the convention.
At the moment, "Atheists" are viewed with the same contempt as "drug addicts", I would think any attempt to popularize the movement would avoid antagonizing religious society in general. At least for now, I do admire the work that the Satanic Temple has done in some state courthouses. I hope thats good feedback, because i would love to see it.

Free beer would definitely help...some money for gas...a little time off work?

Hmmm...maybe if I didn’t have to get up early on Sunday mornings for the meetings and/or give up 10% of paycheck to the leader every week.

But seriously the “Draw Mohammed” events are a really bad idea. There’s no good reason to torment the mentally unstable which these events would inevitably draw in.

OK.... Got it! Nix the draw Mohammed idea! Thanks for the feedback RG!

First thing's first. Where?

Good point Ryan!

The location and timing is critical. How does Charlotte, NC sound in the Springtime? It is beautiful here in April and May! The flowers are already starting to bloom in mid March!

@Alw314 I live near Washington, D.C. So, Charlotte could be doable I'd the event event is worth the travel, for me. If anything comes to fruition message me details. Late Spring our early Summer would be fantastic.
P.S.- get Stephen King.

@JustRyan Thanks Ryan! When I think of renown Atheists, I think of Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris (to name a few) but I don't think of Stephen King. What do you know about him that I don't? Which of his HUGE books should I read? Please advise! Thanks Ryan! Al W.

@Alw314 the American Atheists convention is almost always over Easter weekend, so I think it would be hard to compete with them for speakers

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:312881
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.