Agnostic.com

12 0

Humans are animals. Is there a code of behaviour?

atheist 8 Nov 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Did you know that a dog is the only animal that will turn to a human for help

Codes of behavior are primarily cultural. Most humans have some innate behaviors to varying degrees having to do with survival and sex (reproduction). But evfen innate behaviors are shaped by the culture in which a person is most familiar.

I would say that humans are the only animals that don't have or don't follow their own code of behaviour. The chaos, havoc, and deceit doesn't exist in the animal kingdom. As the population grows we'll see more and more that the code of behaviour doesn't exist for the rich but only for the less rich.

SamL Level 7 Nov 9, 2017

Are they really? How can you account for Blood RH Negative with no Rhesus Monkey Blood DNA?

THOTH Level 4 Nov 9, 2017

Are we not closely related to chimps..? I have quite long arms....I like climbing trees....I like bananas,....PG tips..and the music of Michael Jackson......

As animals we behave in a similar fashion within a family group, but once the group grows to anything significantly larger then the code has to change and, and those changes are what have marked the progress of civilisation down the millenia.

See Thomas Hobbs' Leviathon. Our constitution is based on it. According to him we, like all animals, have a right to everything we can take. This, however, doesn't work well for a social animal. Therefore, we invented a contract (a social contract) in which a central authority insures we all play nice by that contract. It's no longer working.

We are animals and like animals we act on hunger, sex drive, fear, aggression, etc. But it's our self awareness that makes us aware of these characteristics and therefore the ability to resist them. But everyday, people act on animal instincts without knowing it. Just see how men react when another man hits on their girl. Just like an animal we grow angry and territory, promoting violence to protect what's ours

A code in what way? A universal animal code of behavior? A code of behavior unique to humans? I don't think there's any universal behavioral code, but I do think we share some things in common with other mammals, like a sense of fairness. Healthy humans go through similar developmental steps, too, indicating that we have some genetic programming that is innate rather than learned. The "mine" and "why" cognitive states of toddlers are good examples of the common threads we are all subject to.

A learned person that can write simply enough for me to understand. Fantastic! There are a lot of squirrels in 'my' backyard. I love to watch them play, forage, bury, mate, defend, alarm. They often get upset with another, but they settle it in a sane manner. Not too many dead squirrels lying around (except by auto). We, as the higher species, have to teach our own not to kill. Evolution!

There are codes of conduct among wolf packs, lion prides, a band of gorillas etc can be harsh but also can have nurturing care for their own. For humans we extend our family/tribal bonds to form societies and out to bigger and bigger groups. We war with one another but we also provide disaster relief to strangers on the other side of the planet.

An innate or given ode of behavior presupposes some entity creating that code for humans. Codes of behavior for humans are created by humans. Some of those codes are helpful to the functioning of human individuals, groups, cultures, etc. Others are limiting or damaging.

Yes. Don't eat them

ethics are there for the propagation of the species. morals are there to further someone's own goals , nothing to do with propagation

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3137
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.