Agnostic.com

13 0

Does science reject atheism?

A recent article in Salt Lake Tribune talks about a scientist (Glesier) arguing atheism is unscientific. Is atheism unscientific or is he ignoring burden of proof?

Welsh_dude 4 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Science should not reject or asset atheism. The question falls into the realm of religion and has little to do with science. Science is a totally different paradigm and the two are mutually exclusive in my opinion. Just because I do not believe any God or higher being exists now or has ever existe. As a scientist I find no connection with my lack of belief and my science. I have no truck with religion of any sorts and do not figure my beliefs have anything to do with religion.

Surely not.

he sounds like either an idiot or a propagandist. is he a mormon? at any rate, no, science does not negate atheism. science doesn't actually deal with atheism, which is either a belief in the absence of a deity or a lack of belief in the presence of a deity. science doesn't study that.

g

It’s hard to say without reading the article.

If they mean positively asserting there is no god, then they may have a bit of a case. If they mean simply not believing, then they have less of a case.

I'd have to read the article. Can you post it?

Generally speaking, science does not validate any belief, or lack thereof. It's just science. I've certainly seen no evidence that it "rejects" a lack of belief.

I posted something below that appears to be the article in question...or at least about the scientist in question.

@mojo5501 Thank you for that. It seems like he just doesn't understand atheism lol. He said he's agnostic because "atheism is a belief in non-belief. So you categorically deny something you have no evidence against."

Except that's not what atheism is. He is just confusing definitions. I've bitched about this on here before. He's just an agnostic atheist. I don't deny the possibility of the existence of a god either, and I'm an atheist. An agnostic atheist. He is referring to gnostic atheists.

@Xuande I like to use the expression "possible but not probable" in situations like that.

Atheism doesn't require science, but it helps 😉
Observation of reality is how I arrived here 🙂

Reason and being rational. I see religion and science on different ends of a spectrum, personally. I cannot see how a rational person can believe in supernatural deities....and it puzzles me how scientists can also be religious people. It has never been explained to me in a way that makes sense. The scientist in question is agnostic because he doesn't want to appear to 'know' anything with certainly...being a physicist and working with so much theoretical data, I suppose. He refers to atheists as 'extremely arrogant' and not having 'humility' about the possibility of god. I just think he's hedging his bets and trying to 'play nice' for his reputation's sake, personally.

Is this the article? It sounds harmless enough. The physicist
in question is an agnostic...just said that scientists shouldn't dismiss the 'social identity' aspects of religion....not that 'science rejects atheism'...or, at least, I didn't understand it that way after reading this article. [phys.org]

Atheism is secular. Personally, I arrived at my atheism by way of Darwin's evolutionary biology approach and by way of natural history and anthropology. The tree of life image...the origin of the human species....the theory of natural selection...the studies of primates as social animals....our genetic similarity to apes. So, to understand human development and our 'place' in the world, it takes a scientific approach that doesn't include supernatural explanations. I reached my atheism by way of natural science (biology, for ex) and social sciences...it isn't the only way to get there, but it can light the path. I am unfamiliar with the article you mentioned, so I will be seeking it out for curiosity's sake.

Salt Lake is where loonies live.

No

Huh? Salt Lake Tribune? Best guess is he's just making crap up.

1of5 Level 8 Mar 19, 2019

It seems to me he is 1) Ignoring the basic definition of Atheism and 2) Confused as to who bears the burden of proof in regard to existential claims.

Religious indoctrination is nearly impossible to overcome. Hence the many who study science and cannot stop attempting to fit the doctrines into reality.

Atheism is only a statement about not believing in invisible all powerful imaginary critters. That is all.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:313749
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.