Agnostic.com

20 2

If sacrificing your own life would save the lives of a specific number of strangers, how many strangers would need to be saved for you to sacrifice your own life? What if the people were friends? How about family?

Crimson67 8 Mar 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sweet Jesus! Such well thought out answers! A world without stupid assholes! Imagine! Can such a thing be possible?

It would depend on who what when and where this happened.

There are definitely people that I've known/met that I feel don't deserve to live because they've inflicted terrible harm on others with no regrets. So as long as it's not one of them.....

Is this a serious question Crimson67? Doesn't it always depend on the situation? I think it is not something you can answer in advance.

What would your answer be?

Gert Level 7 Mar 2, 2018

@Crimson67 Well, probably I think more complicated. If it's just about "Who would you try to save at risk of your own life", it would be my wife. Depending on the risk, I would save the cats and than my computer and hard disks, containing all of my life's memories. After that? i have no idea.
If you think of a physical occupation of your country by a foreign force (like in WOII) I might be willing to take life-risks for freeing my country in the resistance, fighting the occupier.

I am willing to risk my life for another. I don't know what would motivate me to sacrifice my life. Obviously I have never done it; so any hypothetical answer would be presumptuous.

However, I know I'd be willing to risk my life, but I am certain I'd go into a scenario like that with the expectation that I would survive.

JimG Level 8 Mar 2, 2018

Maybe 1? Dunno. Depends. I really can't tell you unless it happens, but knowing myself I'd most likely die saving anyone at all, even an animal

*especially an animal

The human race

I must be pretty annoying or valuable to be worth more than one person. I'd probably do it to get closer to the assailant to do something inCREDibly stupid.

1. It doesn't matter if that other person is a friend, family, or stranger.
Gohan Level 7 Mar 2, 2018

My goal has always been to save all others with out sacrificing my life. That has worked well for me so far and is a value added benefit. Have I risked my life? Yes, many have told my I am remarkedly lucky, I will take that. The evidence of innocent victim motivates me, as does friend and family. So can I answer this honestly, I don't know?

depends on the situation and who the people are. id rather die for my dogs hoping i will survive.

I will always stand for/with people that are not as capable of standing for themselves. I have even stopped a group of people from beating up one white power asshole because it was still bullying. (And I hoped he remembered that act and re-thought his life choices...)

It would really only take one for me. I'd only make that exception if it were someone I knew and really didn't like.

I would never sacrifice my life. I want to live to protect my child, meet my grandchildren. Also, my dogs would be put down or live their lives in a shelter, I need them to live their lives of luxury as they are. I'm much too selfish to sacrifice their wellbeing, after al I exercise and eat right to stay with them.

if i knew my giving up my life would save anyone elses id give up mine for them

I couldn't. My kid is my heart. I'm staying if I can. He needs me.

One. I'm eventually going to die anyway so, if I could make it beneficial for something, why wouldn't I?

Duke Level 8 Mar 2, 2018

die to save random strangers? 2000-ish (I don't know them, and certainly don't owe them 🙂
My kids, any one would do - my exes - 0, ain't happening 🙂

I'm pulling the agnostic card on this one.

Sacrifice to save my kids would be instant.
Less the number of people for me, more the age, I would be more inclined to sacrifice for a baby or child, or young adult.

I would need more specifics about the circumstances surrounding the whole thing regarding strangers.
As far as friends and family go, just one is sufficient.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31433
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.