Agnostic.com

7 17

Wisconsin judge blocks Republicans' power grab

YES!

"Shortly after Wisconsin voters replaced Republican Gov. Scott Walker with Democrat Tony Evers in 2018, GOP lawmakers scrambled to strip the incoming governor of power. In a special session, Republicans revoked Evers’ ability to make dozens of appointments throughout the executive branch, reducing his authority over state commissions.

"They hobbled incoming Democratic Attorney General Josh Kaul’s ability to represent the state in litigation. And they slashed early voting across the state in violation of a federal court order. Walker approved the power grab weeks before leaving office.

"On Thursday, Circuit Judge Richard G. Niess blocked every single law the Republican legislature passed in late 2018. In his ruling, Niess held that the session was convened in violation of the state constitution, rendering the bills it produced unlawful and void.

"The decision vacates 82 of Walker’s last-minute appointments, restores Evers’ oversight over the executive branch, and allows Kaul to represent Wisconsin in court."

[slate.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Great news

I really hope this sticks.

Good for Judge Niess. Blocking the over reach of the party of "Patriots" who are acting like the party of a 3rd world dictator. They will most likely appeal in hopes they get one of the judges with which McConnell has stacked the various federal benches. A judge who, like the Fratboy Kavanaugh, believes in a unitary executive and is willing to approve the power grab. (If this is a federal issue. It might be a state issue then I don't know the composition of the Wisconsin Supreme Court). But it is good to see that democracy has won the day - for now.

Was so happy to see that. Make Wisconsin Blue Again

That's great, but the republicans say they're going to appeal the ruling.
I'll get excited if they lose on appeal, and let the matter go.

It is about time that someone or some agency put a stop to such usurpations of power.

Fuck Yes! I remember when this happened. I don't think I've ever been more outraged about a political maneuver.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:315750
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.