Agnostic.com

8 2

Hi everyone! I'm new to the site and new to New Mexico. When do you open the pools here? In Michigan, we jumped on the lake as soon as it was 70°. I'd love to find more family friendly activities too, particularly STEM related. Thanks! Looking for forward to interacting with you!

Kris725 5 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Pools and stuff will probably start opening up in mid to late April. In May, that's when Cliff's Amusement Park opens up (it's on Osuna off of San Mateo) and that's a lot of fun for kids. I actually live within walking distance of it

I haven't heard of Cliff's Amusement Park yet. I thought I knew about all of the major attractions! I'll have to check it out. Thank you!

Hi Kris! Welcome to the Agnostic community, and double welcome to The Land of Enchantment!

In the Old Town area, there is Explora and The Natural History Museum (as Victoria mentioned), and Albuquerque Old Town itself is very nice. Not far from there is the BioPark [cabq.gov], which includes the Albuquerque Zoo and the Aquarium & Botanical gardens.

Near the south east side of town is the National Museum of Nuclear Science & History [nuclearmuseum.org] (it used to be called the Atomic Museum), which is a great museum for understanding NM's role in the Manhatan project and nuclear science in general.

In general New Mexico is a great place for just going out and learning more about geology by exploring our wide nature. If you have the chance, I recommend the trip down South East to Carlsbad Caverns [nps.gov]. And the Grand Canyon is only a couple hours further to travel but to our west [nps.gov].

If you are into anthropology, there is a small museum on the UNM campus, that I hear is quite good [maxwellmuseum.unm.edu]. Around NM, you can visit Taos, both for the history and for the art (It's a lovely area in the fall!) or other pueblos worth visiting such as Acoma. There are other uninhabited Native sites such as Chaco Canyon [nps.gov], Mesa Verde [nps.gov], or Bandelier [nps.gov].

As for pools in ABQ, my wife would sometimes use the indoor ones at Highland or Sandia High Schools, but we've not been swimming at either in ages, so I can't give much in the way of recommendations.

Once again, welcome to NM!

Thank you! We've seen a lot in the short time we've been here, but there's so much more to do! Michigan had a lot to offer, but nobody went outside for eight months out of the year. lol! Biopark is high on the list. Several people have told me to wait until it's warm outside. (???) It's warm right now! What does the average New Mexican consider to be cold? I didn't know about the uninhabited Native sites. I will definitely have to check that out!

If you are not in Northern NM check it out. I lived in Taos for 10 yrs. Most of Santa Fe looks like Bedrock. Yabadabadoo.

lol!!

Check with the local library. Our has a bunch of stuff for kids relating to STEM.

We went to the library yesterday! What a great program compared to what we had in Michigan! My son loved it!

I live in NM. Funny I don't think about pools here. THere is an indoor all year pool over here in Las Vegas.Your life here will be very different from Michigan

I certainly hope so! 😀

Welcome to the asylum. Enjoy your stay!
I'm in Southwest Georgia. The pool was open last weekend.
I don't think anyone will be using it this weekend though. It's 45 degrees.
The weather down here is a little schizophrenic.

Wow!

Welcome! What part of NM did you land in? (my brother has lived in Albq., Taos, and Gallup).

Zster Level 8 Mar 3, 2018

I'm in ABQ. Loving it so far!

Great town! Santa Fe and Taos make great weekend get aways, too. Hope you enjoy it!

In Wisconsin, pools are very iffy.

50 today, 31 tomorrow?

I just assume it's jacket weather until someonewalks in with a tan.

Michigan was the same way! haha!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31706
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.