Agnostic.com

5 2

Music is unique. In that it is subjective, suggestive, interpretive, etc... Religions use it to communicate sentiment and ideology. I'm curious, what you fine folk use it for? Are you drawn more to lyrical content, or instrumental esthetics? Also, what are you listening to, right now?

I'm listening to "Potions (Deliverance Mix)" by Puscifer on Pandora.
[pandora.com]

Lateralus 4 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have eclectic musical tastes. Clever lyrics and storytelling can pull me in as deep as trance rhythms and ambient noise. I get a lump in my throat when Joe Ely sings of Gallo Del Cielo’s tragic end, as well as when Tom Verlaine’s mixolydian guitar solo reaches its aural climax in Marquee Moon.

I'm usually listening to whatever my son is listening to at the moment. Having had a hand in cultivating his listening habits from an early age, I'm pretty proud of the music appreciation he continues to develop on his own, independent from my influences. Now he’s the one turning me onto bands and sounds, both new music and stuff I’d previously overlooked. In fact—you’ll appreciate this @Lateralus—he introduced me to Tool (and they’re awesome, but I enjoy Puscifer more).

@batscradle Thank you for raising your son that way. Viva variety! And Puscifer is great live. Have you seen them?

@Lateralus unfortunately no, and they were in town last year at a fairly intimate venue. I couldn't go without taking my son; although he loves music with a passion, he is wary of attending live concerts. He's on the spectrum and has sensory issues, particularly with clapping. Which, given his deep connections to songs and bands, is just damn near heartbreaking. We managed to make it through almost two hours of the Warped Tour a couple summers ago, but only because I had a well-connected friend that got us all access passes and arranged some backstage space for him to chill, which was awesome. I still hope to get him to a show again in the future, and I hope it's Maynard & Co.

I'm very much into lyrical content, but, truth be told, if it's catchy, I'm gonna listen to it.

Lately, I've been listening to Ani DiFranco's album Dilate from beginning to end. And switching it up with Paul Simon's Graceland.

I tend to trust muscian's tastes in music 😉

A living.

I am drawn to beat and then instrumentation. Listening to lyrics is almost an afterthought.

I am currently listening my Lord Huron station on Pandora. It's getting too mellow, though. I need to switch to the J Roddy Walston and the Business channel, which packs a lot more rocking blues. However, the Roku remote is WAY over there and I am paralyzed by a cat on my lap...

Zster Level 8 Mar 3, 2018

The feline paralyzing struggle is real, lol. So, lyrics are an afterthought? Interesting.

Yep. My kids are forever telling me that I CAN'T like some song because its message is just horrible...

Depending on their age, I'd take their opinions with a grain of salt. Or a tide pod, whichever fits best 🙂

It's always the melody first. The last thing I listened to was Rammstein and no that isn't a contradiction lol

My favorites usually combine both that are appealing. Preference I suppose.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:31827
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.