Agnostic.com

7 12

Snowshoeing above my comfort level

Overhanging snow cornices, newly fallen snow, blue skies, 60 degrees, climbing ridge after ridge. On snowshoes, today Karen and I gained a challenging 3,000 feet of elevation over six miles total.

Thinking I could get an echo from cliffs across the bowl, I whooped, startling Karen. She taught me to yodel: "Old La-dy O." Together we yodeled loudly. Wait for it.. Our echo came from the cliffs.

For lunch, we sat on rocks warmed by the sun. It delights me to bring Karen, a vegan, something she will eat. I brought Medjool dates stuffed with roasted almonds. She loved it.

The higher we went, the steeper it got. Karen kept climbing higher and higher. Increasingly reluctant ("How do I get down?" ), I followed.

"If we go up there," Karen said pointing, "we can cut through the trees and come out above Midway at Mission Ridge Ski Area. We can come down the ski run, staying near the trees."

My argument for turning around:

"Today the ski area is closed because of ice. With grooming, the runs are hard-packed. It will be icy and steep. Besides, dogs are not allowed at Mission Ridge Ski Area in the winter." Karen knows that.

Karen was disappointed that we didn't complete the route she wanted. I felt guilty for disappointing her.

"It's not fun for me if you are scared," Karen said. "Next year, I'll come back and complete the route alone."

Still, it was a gorgeous adventure. Photos:

1. Enchantments and Wenatchee Mountains. WA.

2. Karen and her dog Bonnie climb higher.

3. Lake Marion is beginning to thaw.

4. Ponderosa Pine tree with fresh snow.

5. Beautifully sculpted snow.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"I feel like I'm on Mt. Rainier," Karen said.

It was like climbing Mt. Rainier. Surrounded by snow, we climbed one steep hill after another, growing steeper as we went.

Wow, you must be so fit and thank you for those beautiful pictures.'

@Jolanta

Thank you. Glad you like the pictures.

@LiterateHiker I love them.

Too envious to comment coherently!!!

Gorgeous!!!

For anyone who has been hiking (and alive and eating), this sort of event is inevitable. I always carry certain things in my back-pack, that includes TP, wipes, Benadryl, alcohol wipes (for nausea and cleaning cuts), a light pair of gloves, a pocket knife, dental floss (other uses) a condom (other uses) and various other things that you hope you never, ever need to use. I always carry a few towels for use after someone takes a spill while trying to cross a creek (improperly). I am generally a hero for my stash. Mole skin... the list is almost endless. When you need it, you need it.

Me, too. That's why my pack is heavy.

Karen and I pack out toilet paper, even the biodegradable kind. Wipes are not biodegradable.

Animals dig it up. Poop-smeared wipes and toilet paper blow across the landscape. Disgusting.

In Sep 2017 I was hiking a portion of the Appalachian Trail in Virginia that had several scenic views. About halfway through my hike I came around a turn to see a woman getting up from the side of the trail and pulling up her leopard print panties. That was a scenic view I was not expecting to see.

When you gotta go, you gotta go.

@jilynn37

I deleted the poop story because folks were focusing on that instead of the beauty.

@BohoHeathen

Thank you. I thought it was funny.

Ahh, one with nature in the winter time

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:318861
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.