Agnostic.com

12 5

What are your thoughts on fanatics?

I'm sure if you found this site on a Facebook ad like myself, you will have noticed the comments were full of religious fanatics saying we were going to hell, that we were agents of Satan etc. Etc. My question is when do you believe that they go too far?

Jweezy 3 Nov 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As long as they refrain from violence or verbal abuse ,or attempt to indoctrinate un willing individuals I don’t care what they do

I used to just ignore them but see where we are now in the US?Going to far is passing legislation impeding the freedoms of others based soley on their beliefs or behaving in dangerous ways. Individually I can ignore their words but it is beyond that now

Buddists have protested by burning them selves alive.
What has a fanatics beliefs got to do with the death of a innocent bystander, both are dead.
Life is for living.

just want to say that I see fanaticism in both the left and the right. to believe something so much that you are willing to hurt others who do not agree...that is when it goes too far.

They go too far by opening their mouths or typing. They can't help it. Going too far is what they do. I think we should hold a trial and then burn them at the stake. If it was proper for Joan of Arc it's good enough for today's fools. (a bit of ironic sarcasm going on here)

You only concern of religious fanatics. In general, fanatics are dangerous, any kind of fanaticsm or extremism, if word is correct, is dangerous to people and society.

If they threaten you with physical harm I think is go too far. I don't mind hateful and insulting words - they vanish after I take shower. But to hurt me physical, just even a push or a nudge and you will regret it.

They are mentally ill, usually due to indoctrination and/or brain washing... They are also VERY dangerous.

Yes sir fanatics are very dangerous because they are mentally ill.

apparently 7% of the population

Sir, how did get the 7% and is that 7% of US population or 7% of the world?

Fanatics are the dangerous end of the religious spectrum, but unfortunately it's inevitable product. If an idea promotes abdication of reason and adoption of bigoted mindsets then it is going to result in what we see in the religious right of all persuasions.

@TheRealist1333
I agree with the freedom of speech thing, but consider how words actually do and can incite violence. A clerk calling for the death of Punjab's Governor Salman Taseer who had asked for amendment in Pakistan's blasphemy Laws, did actually cause Taseer to be murdered, by the hands of one of his own guards.
All extremists use words as deadly weapons to kill others.

Freedom of speech should only go so far. Here in Australia, we have a law prohibiting "hate" speech, which includes incitement to violence etc.

@Squirrellglider: Yes sir we also have law here in Philippines maybe the same as your law in Australia about "hate" speeches we students protest as a form of censorship by authorities.

"Hate" words and speeches always leads to violence. I have witnessed many times in the school campus.

I find extremes of any sort to be less than useful. I have the same reaction to extreme religious fanatics and extreme atheists to be honest. I'd much rather have a civilised conversation. "Extreme" is a subjective and personal measure, in my opinion and I'd quantify "the other person isn't listening to me" as extreme.

Yes sir I agree. My friend SonnyMlaPH always advise me and my friends that anything extreme is not good.

But he someone who does not practice what he preach. He often gets drunk and sleep anywhere even in sidewalks with the drunken men and their dogs.

Extreme theism or fanaticism is a mental illness.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3203
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.